Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Android performance/hardware requirements

Author
T
Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,
I've been using SD for a couple of months now and I am very happy with it!
I just seem to be having some performance issues on my hardware, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0. I know it's not the latest and greatest, but also not extremely outdated.
A few examples:
- ‌Displaying georeferenced plates takes several minutes (not kidding!), no matter if in flight or in planning mode. In flight, this is not a big deal, since there is plenty of time when approaching. In planning mode, this is somewhat annoying.
- One t‌ime SD completely crashed right in the circuit. Probably because that was just a short ~10mins hop and it got too busy loading the approach chart (the chart of the departure AD probably was also still visible when zoomed out) and auto-zooming (great feature, btw) at the same time. I was approaching my home base, so no big deal. But still a bit worrying.
- In planning mode, ‌it just takes some time to update the map when zooming or panning. That's almost certainly a hardware performance issue and I could live with that

I bought this tablet specifically for flying, so it's a very "clean" setup, just the OS and SD installed on it!
Is there anything I can do to  get SD to run quicker and more stable? Or is my hardware already too old (would be a pity, I just bought it last year :-( )?
Is anyone aware of general minimum H/W requirements for Android?

T‌‌hanks,
Toni‌

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
I run SD on a Samsung S3 smartphone, so I don't think there are any specific minimum Android h/ware requirements.
However I don't use geo-referenced plates etc.‌
There were some issues with some Android devices regarding the screen refresh rate when zooming and panning but they were fixed, probably 1 year ago.
Are you running the latest SD release?
Tony N‌‌‌
ToniS
T
Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)Too Much Forum (705 reputation)
Thanks for the info..,makes me think, my phone is also a pretty old S3 neo. I'll install SD on that and see what happens. If it works there, it's not a H/W performance issue ;-)
Just updated ~2weeks ago through the Google Play store. Should be the latest version, so that's probably not it.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Two of the issues above appear related to rendering the georeferenced approach charts. Please note that in Android 4.x and lower, we have to render these ourselves which is very slow and memory consuming. In Android 5 and above we ask the operating system to do it, which is lightning fast. You would probably see a big difference in performance by upgrading your Android version to 5.
Rogerthedodger
R
Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)
If you cannot upgrade to Android 5 there is a super Lenovo Tablet on offer at Argos - £59.99. (I have the 8" version and it runs SD a treat).
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6732743‌
Rogerthedodger
R
Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)Too Much Forum (904 reputation)
Rogerthedodger - 9/12/2017 3:39:12 PM
If you cannot upgrade to Android 5 there is a super Lenovo Tablet on offer at Argos - £59.99. (I have the 8" version and it runs SD a treat).
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6732743‌

If my link above does not work just search the Argos website for 6732743 - should work.

ToniS
T
Thanks for the hint about Android 5+! Seems I am having bad luck with my choice of Hardware here. Did some research on update availability and it seems Samsung never rolled out any OS update for my Tablet (they did for the 3G version, announced it for the WiFi version, but never did :-X )
However, I  checked my old Nexus 7 (from 2012!), which is really dead slow and unstable even when just surfing the web. But it has Android 6! And what can I say, the georeferenced charts are super fast on that one. Seems I have to make up my mind about which Tablet to by next :-( A Lenovo could be an option, thanks for sharing the info! In the meantime, I'll just switch off the georeferenced charts (with all VRPs and circuits in the base map, they are a very nice add-on but not 100% necessary).

‌Cheers,
Toni‌‌‌

ToniS
T
Bringing this back up after a while...

I solved ‌‌the issue by buying a new tablet ;-) Got a good deal on a Samsung Tab A 10.1 which fits nicely in the mostly unused far right corner of the Cardinal's panel. But there are still two follow-up questions:

Whilst‌‌ I can enjoy the georeferenced approach plates and autozoom now (great!!), I would also like to see the georeferenced taxi charts after landing and before departure without having to switch them on manually. Situation now is that SD zooms in after landing to a scale which would be perfect for taxi guidance, but on the approach chart, so there's not much to see. Is there an option to overlay the taxi chart over the approach chart or to let SD toggle between the two (e.g. on flight log start/end)? If that options exists, I'd highly appreciate a hint how to use it. If not, I hope this will change some day :-)

On the other hand‌‌, I still use the "old" tablet on my kneeboard for when flying e.g. my club's cub. That's usually just local flights and I don't need the georeferenced approach plates for those. But how can I switch off that feature? I don't want to delete the plates from the device. But it seems that as soon as I have downloaded a plate, SD automatically wants to overlay it in flight, which tends to crash the tablet. I couldn't find the switch to turn that feature off :-( Any advice, anybody?

Thanks!!
Toni‌‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
You may wish to talk to customer support about both those issues. They're better equipped to investigate which plate(s) exist for the airfield in question and let you know whether a taxi chart should be appearing.
ToniS
T
OK, will do. Thanks!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search