Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

reset all legs to route altitude

Author
psuter
Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
hi
when I plan a flight, i usually select my start and my target destination first which gives me a direct line from A to B. Since i live in Switzerland, this route usually crosses some rather high terrain. Skydemon then calculates the minimum safe altitude for this leg and sets it to something like 14'000ft. Sadly i usually forget to set my cruising alitutde at this point by lowering the legs altitude to a desired level  or i simply don't know it yet, and i continue to insert waypoints into my route until i have my routing ready. i then realize, that now all my legs are set to 14'000 ft and i then have to change the altitude setting for each and every leg.
Is there a  button or a trick of some sort, to reset t‌he altitude of all legs in my current flight plan to a certain default altitude without moving each leg individually?

cheers
Pascal‌‌‌

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
This is indeed something to think about, and really belongs in the suggestions forum.

At the moment, your route level is the level which all legs adopt unless they've been given thei‌r own level. It would be nice to have a way of resetting all those leg levels but it would be a question of coming up with a good user interface for doing that. We don't get a lot of complaints about the way it currently works.‌
psuter
psuter
Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)Too Much Forum (4K reputation)
SemperFi - 7/31/2017 4:04:39 PM
Sounds like an idea to soend some thinking upon - of a kind like "adjust all flight level to MSA minima"? Never tried, but does the change of the route level not reset all legs to the level put in?

i find that MSA minima's don't work when planning routes through the alps unless you plan to fly very high.. usually when navigating in the alps, you follow passes and valleys. the MSA in such a valley is not defined by the highes mountain peak near you, but by the width of the valley at your current altitude (i.e. if it is possible to turn around = safe, if it isn't possible to turn around = death trap ). unless you want to spend hours finding the routing that follows exactly every little bend in the valley, it is not very practical to use automatic MSA calculation in such a route.

@Tim: My suggestion would be to add this functionality to the flight details dialogue. For example if one types in a new Route Level in that dialogue a question could pop up, if all legs should be reset to this altitude or there could be a little button just behind the flight level number or just below it that says (reset all legs to route level). Another place where i've searched for this functionality before posting was the "Route" menu.. there such a functionality would fit in the region of the "reverse" function.
Another solution that would also work for me and would have no impact on all users that are flying in flat-terrain would be a possibility to turn off the automatic MSA altitude feature when drawing legs. this could be a checkbox in the planning options near the MSA settings. With a checkbox to just disable the automatic leg altitude function i could still see MSA warnings and adjust the legs manually if i deem it necessary. The default setting for this checkbox could be the current state as of today, so existing happy users would not be disturbed by that new function.

can you move this thread to  the suggestions forum or shall i open a new thread in there?

T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/2/2017 9:50:43 AM
This is indeed something to think about, and really belongs in the suggestions forum.

At the moment, your route level is the level which all legs adopt unless they've been given thei‌r own level. It would be nice to have a way of resetting all those leg levels but it would be a question of coming up with a good user interface for doing that. We don't get a lot of complaints about the way it currently works.‌

Speaking for myself, I hardly ever use the vertical navigation features of SkyDemon beyond checking the virtual radar. Part of the reason is that setting the altitude of each leg is such a fiddle compared with dragging the route laterally. Since use of the vertical profile is entirely avoidable, is this perhaps why you get so few complaints about it?

efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
T67M,

You may not have noticed that setting the altitude for each leg can also be done by dragging the magenta line in the vertical radar window.

Eric
Edited 8/4/2017 3:52:10 PM by efrenken
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
efrenken - 8/4/2017 3:52:10 PM
T67M,

You may not have noticed that setting the altitude for each leg can also be done by dragging the magenta line in the vertical radar window.

Eric

Thanks Eric - I do know this, but it's still very fiddly in my opinion. Moving your finger by a millimeter can result in the leg altitude changing by several hundred feet since the virtual radar vertical scale is so compressed, and often the altitude I'd want to adjust it to is waaay of the top of the displayed scale. As a result I tend not to bother setting it at all for one-off flights, only bothering when it's a route I'm likely to fly more often.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
T67M I get the feeling you haven't actually tried it recently. We dramatically alter the scale of virtual radar when dragging legs to make it easy to precisely set altitudes - you're not doing a WYSIWYG drag. I assure you, people use it all the time.
T67M
T67M
Tim Dawson - 8/7/2017 10:44:11 AM
T67M I get the feeling you haven't actually tried it recently. We dramatically alter the scale of virtual radar when dragging legs to make it easy to precisely set altitudes - you're not doing a WYSIWYG drag. I assure you, people use it all the time.

Thanks Tim - you're quite correct that I had stopped using the feature a while ago and hadn't tried it recently. The "geared dragging" is certainly a massive improvement‌‌ - thanks.

I‌‌ notice, however, that the route leg and altitude appear "underneath" any clouds which are shown on the virtual radar, this setting a precise altitude can still be tricky near cloud. Maybe the Z-order of weather and route could usefully by swapped, at least while dragging?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Good idea.
Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.9K reputation)
How about adding an additional button in the weather tab, labeled "Virtual Radar", to switch on/off the weather display in VR?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search