Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

LARS data

Author
Mikernav
Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Could you add LARS data to the new (& very useful) "What's Here" panel - under Radio Services?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
We tried it, unfortunately it wasn't usable. The reason is that the LARS services in the UK are a complete mess, with up to four or five services overlapping each other. Showing them all in a popup with limited space just wasn't practical, which is why we didn't show them previously in the more primitive popup either.
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
Could you list the nearest three in proximity order?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
That's an idea. What about LARS services which are not operated from a known point (and therefore have a proximity) but have a defined polygon of coverage?
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)Too Much Forum (21K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 5/10/2017 8:57:21 AM
That's an idea. What about LARS services which are not operated from a known point (and therefore have a proximity) but have a defined polygon of coverage?

If you're inside the polygon, they come top, otherwise order as per proximity to the centre of the polygon? Probably also needs to include (out rather, exclude) LARS which are known not to be operating, such as military at the weekend.

Mikernav
Mikernav
Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)
How about a selectable layer that shows the coverage map (with contact frequencies) -i.e. Reproduce the coverage map given out with the 500k chart and from time to time by various GA magazines?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Those coverage maps are typically made up. That is, they're either a mess (because they're accurate) or they nicely divide the coverage into sectors, in which case they're beautiful but made up. We're not currently comfortable doing that in SkyDemon.

I have‌‌ it on good authority that moves are afoot within the CAA to do something about this, but have no idea what they're doing or if there's a timescale associated with it.
Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Would it be possible to at least find a way to get the Farnborough LARS in? I notice they're in the 'Radio' screen, but not in the 'What's Here' screen - Because they're not proper airport approach frequencies, I haven't found any way to plan ahead and look it up until I'm actually in the area. I think Farnborough LARS actually uses defined zones...
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
You're right, they are well-defined polygons. We would face a different problem then though, of including certain LARS but not others. People would (quite reasonably) find this behaviour unpredictable and frustrating. At the moment I'm not comfortable including them in What's Here for that reason. All LARS frequencies will appear in your PLOG though, which is also only a button press away.
Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Hi Tim

Appreciate what you're saying, however I would argue the case that the London area *is* inherently different to airspace in the rest of the country, and it is managed differently as well.

In other parts of the country, LARS are simply the Approach frequencies of nearby airports. Outside of the London area, the general approach to picking who to talk to is to look at the nearest significant airport or just talk to London Info. To do this is quite easy, as you just look at the map and press on the airport.

The London area is, however, a completely different kettle of fish given the nature of the airspace and the very clear demarcation, as you say. I think you'll find people barely even use the Radio or PLog screens to get frequencies anymore (unless they like to print them out beforehand) now that the What's Here function has been greatly enhanced. People should be encouraged to tune into Farnborough, but without appearing on the What's Here tab people are likely to not even see the frequency listed as an option, nor can they see which of the 3 frequencies is correct to use for their position.

When flying to London, I would *expect* things to be a bit more complicated, and therefore I don't see why it would be confusing to be provided with the additional LARS frequencies in that area as strongly recommended contacts.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search