Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

LARS data

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I remain open to the possibility but I'd like to take it slowly regarding adding stuff to the new What's Here menu. It's still quite new, and we'll see how the feedback keeps coming.
Gax
G
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
That's fair. I guess for consistency elsewhere you could always just show the nearest LARS to that point, perhaps within a maximum range limit to avoid suggesting ridiculous stations in areas of the country that really doesn't have coverage - that would still be useful (but still not as useful and easy as the UK actually dividing up the airspace properly like any other country! )
Mikernav
Mikernav
Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)
Hi Tim.

I came across a very good interactive website showing LARS coverage. Is this something that you might be able to incorporate into your excellent SD product?

https://labs.f17.co.uk/apps/lars/
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)
We already have all the LARS units in our data. We don't show them on the map normally, because - like in your link - it's a mess. However you can temporarily show their coverage by opening the Radio tab in flight and tapping on any frequency.
Mikernav
Mikernav
Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)
You learn something new every day - I didn’t realise the double tap on the frequency produced an in chart graphic. That is an elegant solution - like everything SD does! Thanks to all at SD for a great contribution to flight safety.
rlcb
r
Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)
A couple of points of feedback on LARS and SkyDemon:

1. I appreciate the mess and the need to keep the interface sane. I wonder though how others plan for LARS with SkyDemon today? Any time I plan to fly somewhere I'm not already familiar, I find myself looking at ENR 6-11 for the LARS coverage chart, and ENR 1.6 4.1.6 to see if particular LARS will be open. I find this a pain - particularly because when I look at ENR 6-11 I can't see my planned route overlaid.

An alternative might be to run in Simulate mode to get the Radio tab and experiment for different parts of my planned flight, but this method seems quite obtuse too. And if I use the plog frequences to see what LARS might be available during planning, I can't immediately see where and for how long I might have coverage because I can't see the range from there.

2. The LARS frequences that appear on the plog don't appear to be sensitive to LARS opening hours as published on ENR 1.6 4.1.6. For example if I plan to fly near Warton on the weekend, then Warton LARS gets listed on the plog even though they're closed on weekends. Does SkyDemon know about LARS opening hours at all? Though I'm not sure it'd be useful to me to adjust just the plog, as I'm struggling to use SkyDemon to plan for LARS at all, as above. But perhaps a better method (if someone can tell me how), or a future software enhancement, might make SkyDemon knowledge of LARS opening hours handy to have.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search