Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Reminder to close flightplan

Author
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Would it be possible to popup a reminder to close a flightplan? Could be triggered when plane is on ground and standing still or when closing Navigation. Normaly I fly without flightplan but when crossing borders I file a flightplan. If I land on an uncontrolled airfield I could forget to close the flightplan(just did). They send the police to check if the plane had landed an next day I got a lot of angry people in my face.

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
Shifu - 9/17/2016 6:24:10 AM
Personal responsibility for the execution of flight is a key feature of piloting and there is no way you can delegate that to an electronic aid. Far too many accountabilities and responsibilities have been de-personized and do harm to our societies already. Skydemon is just a tool, helping you to fulfill your responsibility. If you do a mistake, you have the burden of the result and to delegate that to a machine sounds like try to push the responsibility as well as second step (derived from history and estimated on current trends).

How should Skydemon ever be able to decide when to close a flight plan?
Which AIS does allow closing a flight plan automatically?
Which AIS does allow to close a flight plan by electronics?
Will you blame Skydemon if there is no network coverage at the landing field?

I doubt there is a usable infrastructure for the request today.

It feels wiser to discuss adding ELT functionality to the solution ...

Personal responsibility for the execution of flight is a key feature of piloting and there is no way you can delegate that to an electronic aid...

Spot on Shifu. I totally agree with you.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Edited 9/17/2016 7:26:03 AM by Sky Painter
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.6K reputation)
Thanks Shifu. By that you want all warnings removed in Skydemon since your planning will take care of everything. Why have warnings about danger areas - you have checked if they are active - in fact why have Skydemon active when flying, you only need a map, you must always know where you are. I totally disagree with you teacher approach and the club I am member of - 120 pilots wonder if it is allowed to use glas cockpit in you airplane? Have you ever heard of pilots paying for rescue action not nessesary just because they forgot to close there flightplan - okay he/she learnt the lesson but what about the next making unnessary use of rescue operations?
You also write: " Skydemon is just a tool, helping you to fulfill your responsibility" yes, so the closing of a flightplan is not that???

Tim , can I in anyway connect my own document and get that active when closing navigation?
efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
@Shifu: If you're not in the mood of cynicism today, you better read that post tomorrow.

I'm all for removing the possibility to file fpls thru SD, check notams and weather and all the like, because all of them can and should be done on the ground before taking off. All can be done thru other apps and/or websites and SD only dared to implement them for our convenience.

Eric
efrenken
efrenken
Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)Too Much Forum (19K reputation)
I doubt the SD team will remove functions to please a single user.
Edited 9/18/2016 12:29:33 PM by efrenken
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Guys!
Remember that this is the - suggestion and Beta discussion - section.

If a suggestion is treated the way this have been done then new ideas will never come to this forum.

I hereby withdraw my suggestion.

I use my real name not some funny name to hide behind.

Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Sorry but after googling this issue a lot of pilots forget to close flightplans - therefore:

Please check out this link:
http://studentpilot.com/interact/forum/archive/index.php/t-14715.html

Why should Skydemon not help with that information - remember to close flightplan. If made as an option pilots that do not want the information - just do not activate the option!
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
Martin's suggestion is a perfectly valid one, and, in my opinion, shifu's reply is a bit "rough around the edges". A pop up reminder to close a flightplan after landing is, to me, something I don't feel very strongly about either way. But if it were included, I certainly wouldn't complain.

-- Chris.
Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)Too Much Forum (49K reputation)
A friend of mine puts an elastic band around his wrist prior to commencement of a flight and removing it at the end of the flight reminds him to close his flight plan. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it seems to work for him.

Mike
, SD 3.16.12.0

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Just to add to the possible confusion - there is no requirement (or process) to close FPLs when landing in UK.
So, when I fly to France (and probably other European countries), I have to remember to close them myself where no ATC service is provided (like Abbeville).
I don't fly across international borders very often but FPL closure is something I have to positively remind myself about.
I don't think SD is the right platform to provide these reminders. Perhaps your aircraft's post-flight checklist?
Tony Nowak
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search