Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Differences from CAA charts (extra visual items)

Author
rg
Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)
Group: Forum Members

Well actually I didn't think I wasn’t just pointing out differences and I’m certainly not trying to cause offense.

What I wrote was ONLY in the context of the CAA style that renders your vector graphics. I can only assume, from its name, that the intention was to get us somewhere close to the general appearance look of the paper chart. I think it does that very well but I highlighted some areas where I feel the visual clarity could be improved.....but perhaps it can't

I am not, unlike many microlight pilots I've seen posting in various threads, asking for more ground features to be depicted.  Though I can’t see the objection if users can choose to display it or not through a filter.  I do think if you’re going to show ground features of a particular category then you should and not pick what 'appears' to be a random sub-set. If you not going to show all villages and hamlets below 1km2 then personally I’d rather have the ability to turn them all off and just leave urban areas visible. More ability to filter what features you show surely wouldn’t harm anyone or make you product less desirable?

Of course I’m not suggesting you carefully place the locations of the labels cartographically and I can see that you'll potentially have bigger issue if text was placed at the centroid of an area. Even you must agree that this colour text on the same colour hatch without any kind of masking is not legible, and zooming in doesn't always help as the text flies off and appears against a different line.
http://forums.skydemon.aero/uploads/images/f5861f17-a6e7-4707-823a-1574.png

Some of the symbology within the CAA chart style could be to adjusted. Clearly you've no intention of doing that which is what I expected and why I thought the idea giving users the ability to create and edit chart styles didn't seem so ridiculous.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
I actually think the answer is for us to get rid of that chart style (and in time, many of the others). At the time it was created it was designed to help people move away from the CAA chart by having similar colours and line styles. Clearly, it has also raised unintended expectations regarding symbology and presence of certain details. I wouldn't expect it to survive much longer, as the main chart style contains a large amount of functionality that people don't even know they're missing when they switch to one of the ones, like the CAA style, that were only designed to ease people away from printed charts.
rg
rg
Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)
Well that would be a great shame.....as you say....no one style is perfect.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
We've been investing heavily in our charting for the last three years or so, and virtually NONE of that effort has made it into the old chart styles that were designed (as I mentioned above) to kind of loosely mimic national printed charts. That would require us to duplicate the effort for each style, and in doing so we'd void the purpose of those styles as they would no longer fulfil their original function.

The UK CAA chart style has been removed in the forthcoming version of SkyDemon.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search