Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Nexus 7 warning and question

Author
JSAG
Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Maybe Tim's right and it's my Nexus7 2012 with the new lollipop v5 upgrade at fault.

But I flew Fairoaks to Needles and return yesterday and SD shut down twice before I reached Hindhead. After I activated the app it stayed in and afterwards I was able to stitch the bread crumbs together with merge which is a great function.

Rather than buy a new Nexus I'll use the app. 

Cheers
John
srayne
srayne
Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)
JSAG (11/25/2014)
Maybe Tim's right and it's my Nexus7 2012 with the new lollipop v5 upgrade at fault.

But I flew Fairoaks to Needles and return yesterday and SD shut down twice before I reached Hindhead. After I activated the app it stayed in and afterwards I was able to stitch the bread crumbs together with merge which is a great function.

Rather than buy a new Nexus I'll use the app. 

Cheers
John

John,

Shutting down is not the same as turning the screen off. I am also experiencing the app regularly crashing in navigation mode on a Nexus7 (2012) with Android 5 (Lollipop).

Simon
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Can we get some clarification as to the actual issue here? Is your Android screen going to sleep (turning off) or are you experiencing a crash to desktop, and THEN your screen turning off?
srayne
srayne
Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)
Tim Dawson (11/25/2014)
Can we get some clarification as to the actual issue here? Is your Android screen going to sleep (turning off) or are you experiencing a crash to desktop, and THEN your screen turning off?

Hi Tim,
In my case I'm seeing a crash to desktop every 5-10 minutes running SkyDemon Navigation with Android 5.0 on a 2012 Nexus 7. There are so many other problems with Android 5.0 on a Nexus 7 that I'd not reported it as a SkyDemon problem yet until an updated Android version had been released (which Google are working on).

Until I installed Android 5.0 SkyDemon was running better than ever on the Nexus.

I assumed that John (JSAG) was also seeing a crash as he had to stitch together the flight logs which would not happen if it was just a screen switch-off.

Simon

Edited 11/25/2014 6:29:14 PM by srayne
JSAG
JSAG
Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2K reputation)

Hi Tim

I apologize in advance for my lack of computer expertise but I'll try to convey what happened. My attention was mainly outside the cockpit and reverting to the hard copy chart and filling in the hard copy pre-printed SD PLOG just in case it kept occurring, but this is what happened to the best of my recall.

After five/ten minutes or so I noticed the screen was blank. Not to desktop but blank. By touching the hardware 'on' switch on the side of the Nexus case SD came back on screen. But the Nexus apparently hadn't been off, as such, because it didn't need the swirling logos and stuff, it came back to SD instantly.Still in nav mode and flying the magenta course but with previous ETA/ATA slots in the PLOG blank.
I assumed it was something I might have done inadvertently but five/ten minutes later I looked down and it had happened again and I recovered it with the same result.

At this point I activated the app to keep SD on screen, which it did for the rest of the flight (over an hour).

After landing I found four bread crumb trials, two short, two long, some of them overlapping, all the breaks early on in the flight. It would only let me merge two of the trails which merged to make the complete trip saying something like it would join the less than one minute gaps with a straight line. The other two trails said something like there was more than ten minutes between trails and they could not be merged.

Unfortunately I deleted the redundant  trails before uploading to cloud so I can't give exact details.

I've just run SD in sim nav mode without the app and with the Nexus 7 time out set to 2 minutes and it didn't drop out although I only ran it for 30 mins.

I would advise anybody with a Nexus 7 2012 not to install lollipop, certainly until you hear Google have sorted it out. It has caused other problems and just seems to have slowed everything down.

Hope this helps. I am running SD 3.2.0.0.

Cheers
John

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Very strange; thanks for the detailed clarification.

It certainly appears that Android 5 has caused all sorts of problems for people "upgrading" on older Nexus devices, on all sorts of software and certainly not just SkyDemon. We always advise people to avoid upgrading to the first "big" new release of an operating system (be it iOS or Android) as this is an all-too-familiar story.
adhawkins
adhawkins
Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)
I tried this last night in the car on my way home. Nexus 7 2012 updated to Lollipop and then reset to defaults to fix the awful performance, that appears to be caused by a few apps that aren't fully 5.0 ready yet (Facebook being one notable one).

I had the screen turn off a number of times while in navigation mode.

Sounds like something may well have changed in Android 5.0 in this area.

Happy to try out any test versions if it'll help.

Andy

Rob Swain
Rob Swain
Too Much Forum (814 reputation)Too Much Forum (814 reputation)Too Much Forum (814 reputation)Too Much Forum (814 reputation)Too Much Forum (814 reputation)Too Much Forum (814 reputation)Too Much Forum (814 reputation)Too Much Forum (814 reputation)Too Much Forum (814 reputation)
JSAG (11/20/2014)
Nexus7 2012 with lollipop (stupid name, stupid upgrade)

Android names are always sweets and run in alphabetical sequence (ice cream sandwich, jellybean, kitkat, lollipop) so makes some sense - more than microsoft version numbers/names do, anyway.
Edited 11/30/2014 9:15:55 AM by Rob Swain
oscarbal
oscarbal
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Hi Tim,

To give you some confirmation on the Android 5.0 issues, let me share my experience form this weekend:

Using nexus 7(2013) with Android 5.0 and latest version of SD

In navigation modus:
- I can confirm the keep screen alive does not seem to be working from the app, so if device setting is 2 mins, the screen indeed goes asleep then.
- I set the screen to 30 mins alive before sleep, which helps but is merely a patch.

- Separate from that, crashes to desktop occur around every 10-15 mins, even if screen did not go to sleep. Experienced this several times during flight, which was very inconvenient.

Happy to help further in case you need more info or (if exist) dump information. You need to help me where to look on the device though.
adhawkins
adhawkins
Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)Too Much Forum (28K reputation)
Just a question for those running Lollipop on a Nexus 7. Have you done a reset to factory defaults after the upgrade?

There are a number of people (me included) who had huge problems with the Nexus 7 being unstable immediately after the upgrade. It appears that there are a number of apps around that aren't yet fully compatible with Lollipop. Facebook seems to be one of them.

If these apps are installed, it can make the whole tablet unstable.

It might be worth trying a factory reset (taking care not to allow it to re-install all your apps automatically) to see if that helps with SkyDemon's stability.

FWIW, I used it myself this weekend on two flights of around an hour's duration each. No crashes experienced during that use.

Andy

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search