Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Poor data quality of aerodrome info (e.g. Germany, Switzerland, Austria,...)

Author
RobinHood
Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I experience often a lack of quality for aerodrome info data. And lots of posts in this forum prove this statement from my point of view.
So often there is no even an information about the runway length or the kind of surface of a runway. Also tower telephone numbers, opening times, fuel availability and so one are missing (but available in the AIP and charts available to buy in SD).
Is there an chance to get more accurate data into SD? What data source do you use? If it's an open data source I'm sure that there are plenty of persons which would be happy to be able transforming at least the current state of airport information from the AIP's into the data source. This could be a first improvement.
I know that you prefer digital data and copying information from paper/charts like the german AIP is not a "efficient" way to go. On the other hand there lots of people bought the national AIP with all the valid information. I can understand that they (and me too!) expect to have this data available in the chart data, too.
This would be a chance to make SD even more perfect. The Poor data quality of aerodrome information is the only really bad point about SD.
Nevertheless SD is for me the one and only APP in the cockpit.

Best regards,
Robin Seidelmann

secosu | Consulting & Support
Experts for ERP-Evaluation & ERP-Implementation projects in Europe

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
The aerodrome data in SkyDemon is not of poor quality. As you say, we include official data from AIPs for free inside SkyDemon. Because we include this free official data, we do not want to duplicate the data ourselves. There is simply no need to.

Perhaps you could elaborate and mention some specific airfields/situations in which you believe our data to be poor.

Certainly, it is our goal for basic information like runway lengths, surfaces and a PPR contact telephone number to be present in our database for all airfields.
RobinHood
RobinHood
Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.4K reputation)
Tim,

sorry I didn't want to blame you or skydemon.
Here some examples of "missing data" / possible data improvments:
EDRS Runway: no runway information at all (has two grass runways 600/700 Meters)
Some airfields in the vicinity of EDMB:
EDMB Runway: 04/22 Surface unknown (should be Asphalt)
EDSN Runway 09/27 Surface unknown (should be Asphalt)
EDNL Runway 06/24 Surface unknown (should be Asphalt)
ETHL Runway 09/27 Surface unknown (should be Asphalt)
EDPJ Runway 07L/25R Surface unknown (should be Asphalt)

These are just some examples. I'm pretty sure there are (much) more.

Best regards,
Robin Seidelmann

secosu | Consulting & Support
Experts for ERP-Evaluation & ERP-Implementation projects in Europe

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)SkyDemon Team (621K reputation)
Thank you, this is very helpful. I have identifier the missing data and given the feedback to the person responsible. Hopefully we will be able to get the data improved by the next AIRAC date (after tomorrow).
jan.schreiber
jan.schreiber
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Hi,

i just noticed that also the information that is there is sometimes old:

EDBF for example changed the runways designators from 11/29 to 10/28 (happened about 2 years ago), in SkyDemon PC it's still 11/29.

Kind regards

Jan
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Thank you, I will forward this to the person responsible. For aerodromes not officially published in the AIP, there is no other official source of data so we are not always notified that there has been a change. It's possible this is what happened in this case.
jan.schreiber
jan.schreiber
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Hi,

EDBF is for sure published in the DFS AIP. I do have the original DFS data here and it's correct and up to date. Wink

Kind regards

Jan
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Well, we're both correct. It is not part of the main German AIP, but it is part of the separate VFR AIP. Regardless, this should have been a change automatically incorporated into our data. I will continue to investigate.
jan.schreiber
jan.schreiber
Hi,

as my trial did run out a few days ago i finally bought a subscription, including german DFS AIP Charts for about 70 €.

After downloading all of them i discovered that at least the charts for EDBF do not seam to be current. This charts are from 2003, showing still the wrong runway designators (29/11 instead of the 28/10). Can you please check this?

Kind regards

Jan
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Thank you. DFS sent us a complete update for their VFR AIP a couple of weeks ago, and it turns out there were many errors and omissions in it. I have made them very much aware of this and they are quite apologetic. They are hoping for a comprehensive new dataset to be delivered to us next week, but in the meantime I have let them know about the EDBF error and will hopefully get the correct plates later today. I will publish them as soon as they arrive.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search