Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

VFR Austria totally screw up !!

Author
rosdol
Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Folks, after months of not using Sd and having now a payed full subscription, I downloaded new Charts as af Feb 14th. 2014. To my surprise, I found terrible errors on the Austrian VFR Chart:

The placement of the Bad Vöslau Runway LOAV is totally wrong, the Motorway A2 goes directly thru the runway...

The Placement for Vienna Airport is wrong as well as a rural road is going over the LOWW runway 09 twice

Thé Placement of the runway for Wels Airport LOLW is wrong as in reality the runway is south of Motorway A9 and not North of it

In Slazburg Airport LOWS aroad is crossing the runway....

I stopped checking here, but there seems to be a systematic error in this Chat. I have attached screenshots so you see immediatly what I mean

I hoope the SD Team can correct these Errors as quickly as possible..

Regards

Erik
Attachments
loav.jpg (858 views, 46.00 KB)
lowl.jpg (822 views, 89.00 KB)
loww.jpg (891 views, 48.00 KB)
lows.jpg (737 views, 90.00 KB)
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Hello,

It seems that these errors are all concerning placement of aeronautical data next to roads.

Please bear in mind that road data in SkyDemon is for situational awareness only and is NOT precise, in fact is it often very imprecise. Later this year we will be improving our road data significantly in Austria. It is only the aeronautical data in SkyDemon which is designed for aeronautical use, and our runway and threshold positioning data is derived from official publications.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)Too Much Forum (64K reputation)
Tim, there have been several discussions already regarding the accuracy of non-aeronautical features in SD. I understand the position of SD in this respect. Mainly, as I remember it, the argument is that increased accuracy in vector based maps would incur performance penalties and also increase the size of map updates. In my opinion, these cosmetic faults are just that: cosmetic.

However, the impact of seeing a road cross the runway twice has a substantial bearing on how a product is being judged by potential new customers. Just imagine a comparison in some online forum or aviation magazine showing these images. No matter how well SD handles other aspects like flight planning, user interface (a BIG cudos in this respect!) and positional awareness, a lot of people would turn around at this point and consider something else.

It is only the aeronautical data in SD which is designed for aeronautical use...

Sure, but when you look at the map while flying it is difficult to remember that you're not supposed to use any of the geographical features for aeronautical purposes. After all, SD covers all other aspects of flying so well that it has become a de facto replacement for maps, charts, wind triangles, weight & balance calculations, separate weather briefings etc..

Of course, we all want to have our piece of cake and eat it, too! We want snappy performance, fast download speeds for map updates and accurate depiction of all relevant map features. It's the blight of the software developer to find a suitable compromise and eek out the last bit of performance using clever data schemes and programming tricks.

-- Chris.
Edited 2/17/2014 5:20:44 PM by ckurz7000
rosdol
rosdol
Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.4K reputation)
Please bear in mind that road data in SkyDemon is for situational awareness only and is NOT precise

Please bear in mind, that VFR pilots match map Features with reality - so if a motorway crosses a runway twice this is not a bit imprecise. Pleaase also do note, that a vfr Pilot expects a VRP to be at a motorway, when it is shown there on the map and not displaced way off.

I would not like these inacuracies as a Pilot and find it very harmfull and as ckurz700 pointed out may turn customers (like myself) away from your product. It is a pity, that SD cannot (willnot) provide some precision in this case...

Erik
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
As I said, we are already in the process of improving our Road data for Austria, which is scheduled to take effect later this year.
rosdol
rosdol
Thank you Tim!

Erik
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search