Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Differences from CAA charts (extra visual items)

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
We would consider increasing the detail level for roads etc if a lot of people made it clear that the level of detail at the moment is insufficient. I don't see that happening any time soon as I think we've got the balance right for the normal usage pattern of the software. I can't see us adding things like white horses though; it's a GPS navigation system after all.
T67M
T67M
Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)Too Much Forum (20K reputation)
Tim Dawson (18/03/2013)
We would consider increasing the detail level for roads etc if a lot of people made it clear that the level of detail at the moment is insufficient. I don't see that happening any time soon as I think we've got the balance right for the normal usage pattern of the software.

I'd agree with Tim - in fact I'd go further and say it would be nice to have separate options for railways, dual carriageways and "other roads" since the current all or nothing option goes from to little detail (for my taste) to too much in one step.

Tim Dawson (18/03/2013)
I can't see us adding things like white horses though; it's a GPS navigation system after all.

I like flying over chalk figures etc, so I have simply added them as user waypoints.
AnglianAV8R
AnglianAV8R
Too Much Forum (8.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (8.8K reputation)
Suggestion...... If you're planning to fly over unfamiliar territory, you could choose to create additional waypoints such as chalk figures. Then give them a particular type of symbol, such as a blue spot.

I tend to confirm such features via google earth and then create the waypoints.

Having been used to CAA 250k MM charts prior to my conversion to the faith, I was a little apprehensive when I did my first long distance flight with SD. However, I found the basic mapping to be quite adequate.

Having bolstered the detail with assorted recognisable features as waypoints, I'm happy with the compromise.

SD and a cheap Chinese satnav = Jobzagoodun.
daxwax
daxwax
Too Much Forum (480 reputation)Too Much Forum (480 reputation)Too Much Forum (480 reputation)Too Much Forum (480 reputation)Too Much Forum (480 reputation)Too Much Forum (480 reputation)Too Much Forum (480 reputation)Too Much Forum (480 reputation)Too Much Forum (480 reputation)
I would suggest that the extra level of detail (e.g. the CAA 250:000) would be great to have for the printed back up but is unnecessary when everything is working as advertised on the ipad. This would avoid the need for huge data downloads on the ipad itself.
I have the current CAA map downloaded on my iphone through memory map as an inflight backup (as well as paper!)
AlanM
AlanM
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
The SD Charts are just right for the job they are designed for, better than the Garmin on hardware twice the price. Those of you that have a problem with map size and or folding should get the CAA MemoryMap for your area. France is also available. Then plan your flight on SD repeat on to paper version ( to stay legal) then copy to MM and print out A4 sheets of flight, Use for the one flight, scribble clearances squawks and whatever on them. And then throw away and get a new clean set for the next flight. By combining these 2 sets of planning software you will have to work very hard to get unsure of position!! And you will not break the bank.

Alan M
cyberkryten
cyberkryten
Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.7K reputation)

But isn't Skydemon available as a non-navigation version too?

I accept that for live flight, the detail levels are OK but surely for anyone that bought it for pre-planning, the argument that you don't need accurate detail when SD is telling you where you are doesn't work? (Of course, I don't know what % of SD subscribers take the Nav option).

Just a shame to have to add another step (whether that be drawing it onto a chart myself or doing so through another application) when SD could let me do it with a click of the Print button.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
We believe that regardless of whether you are planning or flying, SkyDemon's vectorised dynamic charts do a better of job giving you the detail that you actually need than any printed chart. Of course if you are actually interested in chalk figures, quarries etc for sightseeing, then clearly a map which has those on is more suited to you.
FlightX
FlightX
Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)Too Much Forum (179 reputation)
Tim Dawson (11/03/2013)
Because we have decided that, in our product, highly detailed roads are not important. There are other products where that decision might not have been made, but it fits our needs well and is a good balance between detail and speed and memory consumption.

Hi,

I agree totally with the accomplished balance between detail, speed and memory, from my point of view, there is no need for futher detailed roads.

However, I've another concern regarding the accuracy of roads, for example. I think, it is important to recognize the shape or the course of a road as a visual reference if the GPS functionality is unserviceable. Comparing the shape of the same piece of highway in Switzerland in SD and google maps or the Swiss ICAO Map, the difference of the shape, especially within the red rectangle, is quite obvious:

This is an example where I say that I would need to recognize the curved course of the highway (right image) which is not straight on like in SD's part of the map (left image).

This is not an issue about the level of details but about accuracy within the same level of details.

If there would be an option to improve the accuracy regarding shapes and courses of roads, rails etc., I would appreciate it very much.
Edited 4/28/2013 10:23:51 PM by FlightX
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
This is the same issue with a different name; it's still the level of detail of roads. Where you compromise on level of detail, details such as small bends will always be removed. That is the way it is, I'm afraid. I am unclear why you would be looking to use a small bend in a road observed on your GPS screen to identify where you are, when that is the purpose of your GPS?
flyingboy
flyingboy
Too Much Forum (563 reputation)Too Much Forum (563 reputation)Too Much Forum (563 reputation)Too Much Forum (563 reputation)Too Much Forum (563 reputation)Too Much Forum (563 reputation)Too Much Forum (563 reputation)Too Much Forum (563 reputation)Too Much Forum (563 reputation)
As a flex wing microlight pilot, I agree with the original poster and the view that more, much more (if possible) detail/data/roads/places/landmarks/country houses/castles etc....... would be very welcome.

As a pilot who fly's slower (60mph) and lower ( < 2000ft ) than most GA traffic, I find myself at times wishing I hadn't folded my CAA 1:250000 chart and put it into my bag.

I love nothing more than cross referencing what i am slowly passing over with the many more features found on the CAA charts. For me, its not a case of locating these landmarks simply for navigation purposes, getting from one airport to another, but more so I can appreciate what and where I am actually flying over or near.
Also I rarely stick to a planned route, often seeing something and then heading off in that direction to view it. More detail whilst flying would greatly add to that enjoyment I already experience.

Many posts in this discussion infer that SkyDemon have got the detail amount just right.

Maybe they have for those pilots, who quickly pass over the countryside 2/3/4 times faster and higher than I do, but for this VFR pilot, I repeat, I am with the original poster.

I cannot fault Skydemon in any other way and I DO use it on every flight I make, but I will, if nothing changes, be looking at any alternatives that may be more suited to my needs when my years subscription is up. Skydemon was the first and only product I have used since my flying started last year, but having spent over £200 on the product, I won't be seeking another product to use alongside it. It will be the case of one or the other.....

Hoping that detail can and will be added (even if it is an optional add on)...

Insert EmotIconMichaelInsert EmotIcon
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search