Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Garmin GLO

Author
N
Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am trying ti use SkyDemon and the GLO again...  I never actually used it last time I did a VFR flight.
I now have my own iPad and am trying to set it up again with the GLO
So can some one explain to me what setting needs to be selected in the Connectivity options to connect to the GLO?
There is 
NONE
FLARM
GDL90
PilotAware
Dynin SkyView
X-Plane
but no mention of garmin

guille
guille
Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)
NeilP - 12/14/2017 10:02:59 AM
I am trying ti use SkyDemon and the GLO again...  I never actually used it last time I did a VFR flight.
I now have my own iPad and am trying to set it up again with the GLO
So can some one explain to me what setting needs to be selected in the Connectivity options to connect to the GLO?
There is 
NONE
FLARM
GDL90
PilotAware
Dynin SkyView
X-Plane
but no mention of garmin

In principle it connects when your Ipad finds the GLO. Just uses the Bluetooth connection. I have the IPAD mini 4 and the internal GPS - for the moment - never failed and gives the same results with the GLO and without the GLO. Look at the thread IPAD mini 4 wifi and cellular and GLO

NeilP
N
Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)Too Much Forum (722 reputation)
Yep paired with the Bluetooth.
So are you saying that although there is an option to select an external GPS..you don't need to use that option with the External GPS?

guille
guille
Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)Too Much Forum (18K reputation)
NeilP - 12/14/2017 10:31:37 AM
Yep paired with the Bluetooth.
So are you saying that although there is an option to select an external GPS..you don't need to use that option with the External GPS?

In the IPAD there is not an option for an external GPS, if it is paired, it takes it automatically. I checked it with the Garmin application that comes with the GLO aviation. (free for a short period). The IPAD uses the GLO, I assume the signal used by SDemon is the one of the GLO. 
NeilP
N
The External GPS option is not in the iPad settings, it is in the SkyDemon settings

I just had to do a last minute work flight so took it along with me.

And the external Garmin GLO GPS does seem to work even with the setting in SkyDemon set to ‘None’ in the External GPS setting.
Very confusing but it seems to work.

Must be working from the GLO, because the basic WiFi only iPad does not appear to have built in GPS
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
We need to change that header, as it confuses people who don't know that Bluetooth GPS receivers like that one "just work" with iOS. There is no way of explicitly selecting them.

NeilP
N
How do other types of external GPS units work ? Are they hardwired ?

But yes, a change in that text, or an addition to it mentioning BT GPS units don’t need actually selecting would save a lot of head scratching
TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
Since iOS 11 I have constant problems for the navigation apps (not limited to SkyDemon, I also run active subscriptions with 2 other navigation apps, and have them typically all running at the same time) to acknowledge and use the GLO GPS input. I used an iPad Air Wifi, and since recently I have an iPad Pro Wifi (so not inbuilt GPS).

In my case, upgrades to the GLO firmware, and being on the latest iOS sub-release alone didn't help much. Pls note that the problem is there even though the GLO in the iPad Settings/Bluetoogh is showing as "connected". ‌

‌My standard procedure is now (with the GLO running):
‌- Check that SkyDemon shows has GPS fix, as part of pre-flight.
‌- If not, go to iPad Settings/Bluetooth: Switch Bluetooth OFF, then ON again; wait for GLO to pop up again and to show "connected" again.
‌- Then quite SkyDemon, and open SkyDemon again. The navigation app will now invariably have access to GPS data, and show a position fix.

‌Luckily, once the navigation apps "see" the GLO GPS input, it is stable; it doesn't lose GPS in-flight.
TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.4K reputation)
It appears that this is fixed no with iOS upgrade 11.2.6. Since installation of this latest iOS sublease, my Glo is visible to all navigation apps without any 'gymnastics'.

‌The Apple release notes for this release actually refer to this problem:‌
Fixes an issue where some third-party apps could fail to connect to external accessories

‌It is funny how Apple sometimes denies that there are any problems (until the problem is eventually resolved.)

Edited 3/18/2018 8:56:07 AM by TimT
StuartS
S
Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)Forum Member (25 reputation)
TimT - 3/18/2018 8:56:07 AM
It appears that this is fixed no with iOS upgrade 11.2.6. Since installation of this latest iOS sublease, my Glo is visible to all navigation apps without any 'gymnastics'.

‌The Apple release notes for this release actually refer to this problem:‌
Fixes an issue where some third-party apps could fail to connect to external accessories

‌It is funny how Apple sometimes denies that there are any problems (until the problem is eventually resolved.)

Interestingly, I am using that latest 2018 iPad with version 11.3.1 iOS and the latest Glo firmware purchased last week along with SkyDemon Ver 3.9.4.0 had nothing but drop outs between the two devices during 4 different flights today. At best it stayed connected for 22mins and despite the Glo showing both continuous blue and green lights I have the position unavailable message. The only way to resolve this was to turn off the Glo and turn it on again. Interestingly the iPhone with in built gps maintained a strong signal and route throughout. I hope thay manage to sort this out soon. I wonder if this is an issue with the new iPad?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search