Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

iPad 3 Getting Hot!!

Author
Steve T
Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just purchased an iPad 3 w/3G running a assessment version of Sky Demon. Went flying on Wednesday, our 1st and only summer day this year, it was warm but not overly hot but I found the iPad became uncomfortably hot and I had to cool it in front of the air vent. Has anyone else experienced this? Incidentally I can see why some people warn of the dangers of using these devices. I found I was looking at the ipad far more than I was concentrating on flying and keeping a good look out. No matter how good these units are they don't replace the Mk1 eyeball.Regards,Steve T
stevelup
stevelup
Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)Too Much Forum (70K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Did you have a power cable plugged in? They get super-toasty whilst charging...
Steve T
Steve T
Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
No, it was running on internal battery power and was not in a case. Apparantly the iPad can be operated in temps. up to 35C and stored up to 45C and has over temp controls and warnings.
Francois
Francois
Too Much Forum (941 reputation)Too Much Forum (941 reputation)Too Much Forum (941 reputation)Too Much Forum (941 reputation)Too Much Forum (941 reputation)Too Much Forum (941 reputation)Too Much Forum (941 reputation)Too Much Forum (941 reputation)Too Much Forum (941 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I flew almost one year without any problems, at that time I was using the RAM glareshield mount. The iPad was vertical, so not direct sunlight on it ( PA 28 )

Unfortunately it was blocking any front view for the right seat, so I moved to the yoke mount. Because the iPad is lower, it needs to be tilted for me to get a good view... and it gets the sunlight.

Since then, I have to remove it once in altitude (only keep it on the yoke for takeoff/landing) and keep it on my knees (left or right, where there is no sunlight) to avoid the OVERTEMP message.

I also heard from friends who have nice kneeboards that the iPad does like it at all, and can also get to OVERTEMP because the aluminium case can't do it's cooling job.

The day the iPad is dead I'll simply buy the SkyDemon device... sad thing is that I would loose the pdf reader app with the maintenance and part manuals and some other docs.
Edited 7/14/2012 12:04:24 PM by Francois
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search