SkyDemon Forums

iPad 3 Getting Hot!!

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic6275.aspx

By Steve T - 6/22/2012 9:34:41 AM

Just purchased an iPad 3 w/3G running a assessment version of Sky Demon. Went flying on Wednesday, our 1st and only summer day this year, it was warm but not overly hot but I found the iPad became uncomfortably hot and I had to cool it in front of the air vent. Has anyone else experienced this? Incidentally I can see why some people warn of the dangers of using these devices. I found I was looking at the ipad far more than I was concentrating on flying and keeping a good look out. No matter how good these units are they don't replace the Mk1 eyeball.Regards,Steve T
By Francois - 7/14/2012 12:03:22 PM

I flew almost one year without any problems, at that time I was using the RAM glareshield mount. The iPad was vertical, so not direct sunlight on it ( PA 28 )

Unfortunately it was blocking any front view for the right seat, so I moved to the yoke mount. Because the iPad is lower, it needs to be tilted for me to get a good view... and it gets the sunlight.

Since then, I have to remove it once in altitude (only keep it on the yoke for takeoff/landing) and keep it on my knees (left or right, where there is no sunlight) to avoid the OVERTEMP message.

I also heard from friends who have nice kneeboards that the iPad does like it at all, and can also get to OVERTEMP because the aluminium case can't do it's cooling job.

The day the iPad is dead I'll simply buy the SkyDemon device... sad thing is that I would loose the pdf reader app with the maintenance and part manuals and some other docs.