Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Reversing Routes with Alternate Specified

Author
srayne
Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)Too Much Forum (46K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Tim,

If you reverse a route which has an alternate specified then the original alternate if appended to the new reversed route. This in itself is not a major problem unless (as I did), whilst in flight, you then cross the track from your destination to the original alternate (which will usually be well behind you) - at this point the wrong leg can become active and guidance is then given to your original alternate instead of the destination. If flying IMC this can be disorienting until you realise what has happened.

Can I suggest that when reversing a route the original alternate is removed from the reversed route.

Simon
DavidC
DavidC
Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.1K reputation)
I've also had this problem.

One other possible idea is to have two alternates, one for each direction.

In most cases, I fly from the same home airfield and so would always have the same alternate for it - its the destination that has different alternates. I appreciate this might not fit with everyone's model of flight planning, but the concept of a master/home airport and alternate that overrides these when landaway routes are reversed would closely fit my own requirements.

--- CPL/IR/FI based in South of England
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
I do like the idea of removing an alternate when you reverse your route, but I don't like the idea of someone reversing twice in quick succession (just playing with the feature) and having that information removed. We may leave the current behaviour in place for the time being...
Charlieflyer
Charlieflyer
Too Much Forum (800 reputation)Too Much Forum (800 reputation)Too Much Forum (800 reputation)Too Much Forum (800 reputation)Too Much Forum (800 reputation)Too Much Forum (800 reputation)Too Much Forum (800 reputation)Too Much Forum (800 reputation)Too Much Forum (800 reputation)
It's so easy to set a route with SD, the simple answer is to plan a new route for the return.
ckurz7000
ckurz7000
Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)Too Much Forum (63K reputation)
Why not a popup window asking to confirm deletion of the alternate when the route is reversed? It's easy to just click yes/no.

-- Chris.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search