Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Virtual ILS - Does it work at unlicensed airfields

Author
Bathman
Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (6.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I couldn't get it to work the other day. Was this because I was trying it at an unlicensed airfield?
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
I am glad you mentioned this Bathman. Hope you are well.
It did not work for me on a number of occasions with licensed airfields. I thought it could have been my not knowing how to use it. Now that you mentioned it it could be a bug. On the other hand, have heard some saying that it continued to indicate, with a glide slope down to ground level on other occasions in unlicensed field (that one was Bagby to be precise).

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Edited 5/9/2012 1:53:23 PM by Runways
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
It depends on the airfield, or more specifically, on the data we hold on it. To fly a pseudo-ILS approach to a runway we need (at a minimum) to hold the precise coordinates of both runway ends and the elevation of the end you're approaching. This data isn't always available, but it is for more licensed airfields in the UK (for example).
Runways
Runways
Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)Too Much Forum (36K reputation)
Thank you Tim for the clarification. Can we take it that the data you hold about airfields are progressively getting more accurate as time goes by?
Regards

Very Newbytheway

DurhamTeaseAirport
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)SkyDemon Team (622K reputation)
Yes, but runway thresholds are the kind of thing that we don't automatically update, as they depend to an extent on a local survey being done.
chriso172
chriso172
Too Much Forum (586 reputation)Too Much Forum (586 reputation)Too Much Forum (586 reputation)Too Much Forum (586 reputation)Too Much Forum (586 reputation)Too Much Forum (586 reputation)Too Much Forum (586 reputation)Too Much Forum (586 reputation)Too Much Forum (586 reputation)
Hi TIM
I was at Air Expo last weekend and visited your stand. I spoke to one of the staff and asked about ILS approaches for Perranporth, I have tried on several occasions but cannot get Skydemon to work. Can you please confirm that it should work or are the runway threshold details required?
Many thanks
Chris
Rob Hart
Rob Hart
SkyDemon Team (9.1K reputation)SkyDemon Team (9.1K reputation)SkyDemon Team (9.1K reputation)SkyDemon Team (9.1K reputation)SkyDemon Team (9.1K reputation)SkyDemon Team (9.1K reputation)SkyDemon Team (9.1K reputation)SkyDemon Team (9.1K reputation)SkyDemon Team (9.1K reputation)
I just checked this out in simulator mode on our office ipad, and I can see the ILS kick in at Perranporth... We certainly do have the threshold co-ordinates, and as you are approaching your chosen runway the centre of the HSI should change from a plane outline to a circular outline. The "crosshairs" should then begin to converge.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search