Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Change Route Storage Location on PC

Author
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If you want to store your user documents in a place other than the default on your C drive, then use the proper Windows tools to achieve it. That's what they are there for.
InfrequentFlyer
InfrequentFlyer
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Tim Dawson (2/26/2014)
If you want to store your user documents in a place other than the default on your C drive, then use the proper Windows tools to achieve it. That's what they are there for.

Sorry to be late to the party, but what are the "proper Windows tools" to locate user documents on a drive other than C Tim?  I've generally heard that Microsoft strongly recommend not relocating Users folders (especially not to put them on another drive), as this confuses some Microsoft software (e.g. the Windows 10 migration fails if user folders aren't on C, apparently).  Maybe there's something I've missed.  I just don't use \Users\anything if I can possibly help it.

Just started using SkyDemon having used it with friends; very impressed so far.  Following threads on Flyer I've been especially impressed by the speed with which you fix bugs and address user issues.  It's not a great problem that it takes me an extra 6 clicks to get to my routes folder, but I'd prefer not to have to do it, especially as something like that is error-prone.  I'll probably end up misplacing routes. 

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Hi, I haven't done it myself, but there seems to be a lot of information on it:
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=change+location+of+my+documents

InfrequentFlyer
InfrequentFlyer
Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.1K reputation)
Tim Dawson (8/3/2015)
Hi, I haven't done it myself, but there seems to be a lot of information on it:
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=change+location+of+my+documents

Thanks Tim. 

I appreciate that you can redirect some of the entries in the top-level user folder - including "My Documents", where you put the SkyDemon stuff (I assume redirecting My Documents redirects the symbollic link).  Various problems have been reported apparently caused by relocated user folders with the W10 upgrade but this may be for people who have managed to redirect the top-level user folder.

Redirecting My Documents wouldn't solve my problem as I would want to redirect not the whole Documents folder, but merely the SkyDemon sub-folder. 

However, I sense your determination that this is not something you're going to change, so I'll live with the extra 6 clicks!  SkyDemon is perhaps unusual but not unique in not allowing users to choose their own default user file location.  No big issue for me. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search