SkyDemon Forums

Change Route Storage Location on PC

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic5851.aspx

By Kolossi - 5/9/2012 10:18:10 AM

Apologies if this has already been posted, I've search for as many phrases as I can think of in the forums ("Change Folder", "File Location", "Route Directory" etc), but couldn't find any mention:

Is there any way to change the default location for storing and opening Flight Plans with PC SD Plan?

Currently routes are stored in C:\Users\{MyUserName}\Documents\SkyDemon\Routes, but in order to have the routes available on all my various home/work PC/laptops/phones I'd like to be able to store them within my Google Drive so e.g. C:\Users\{MyUserName}\GoogleDrive\SkyDemon\Routes. I can store the files in that location and load them from there fine, but every time I click to open I have to navigate from C:\Users\{MyUserName}\Documents\SkyDemon\Routes to C:\Users\{MyUserName}\GoogleDrive\SkyDemon\Routes every time - even having opened a route from the new location, SD doesn't remember it for the next load let alone the next time it runs.

I've tried looking in the program preferences, for a config file on the disk and even in the registry, but no luck. I'm hoping someone can point out a way for me - perhaps there's a secret command line option that can be used when starting SD?
By InfrequentFlyer - 8/3/2015 8:03:03 PM

Tim Dawson (8/3/2015)
Hi, I haven't done it myself, but there seems to be a lot of information on it:
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=change+location+of+my+documents

Thanks Tim. 

I appreciate that you can redirect some of the entries in the top-level user folder - including "My Documents", where you put the SkyDemon stuff (I assume redirecting My Documents redirects the symbollic link).  Various problems have been reported apparently caused by relocated user folders with the W10 upgrade but this may be for people who have managed to redirect the top-level user folder.

Redirecting My Documents wouldn't solve my problem as I would want to redirect not the whole Documents folder, but merely the SkyDemon sub-folder. 

However, I sense your determination that this is not something you're going to change, so I'll live with the extra 6 clicks!  SkyDemon is perhaps unusual but not unique in not allowing users to choose their own default user file location.  No big issue for me.