Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

VIRTUAL ILS -- INSTRUMENT VIEW

Author
ktallent
Too Much Forum (492 reputation)Too Much Forum (492 reputation)Too Much Forum (492 reputation)Too Much Forum (492 reputation)Too Much Forum (492 reputation)Too Much Forum (492 reputation)Too Much Forum (492 reputation)Too Much Forum (492 reputation)Too Much Forum (492 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Just pull out the heading indicator at the bottom of the screen and it becomes an HSI instrument on your map. You can drag it to whatever position you want to. You can also drag it back to its original position as well. Very nifty bit of coding by the team Smile
Tags
sprucegoose
sprucegoose
Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (7.9K reputation)
What an elegant solution! Fabulous to now have this on the iPAD. Great software getting better all the time. What more could one want? (Although, being the greedy buggers we are, I'm sure we'll think of something soon. Synthetic Vision and Highway in the Sky?)
flychi
flychi
Too Much Forum (230 reputation)Too Much Forum (230 reputation)Too Much Forum (230 reputation)Too Much Forum (230 reputation)Too Much Forum (230 reputation)Too Much Forum (230 reputation)Too Much Forum (230 reputation)Too Much Forum (230 reputation)Too Much Forum (230 reputation)
Used SD for the first time yesterday and was very pleased.

Just updated my iPad version to 2.3.3 and the only issue with the "free floating" HSI is if you rotate the iPad from landscape to vertical with the HSI on the RHS of the screen the HSI can't be seen.

Not sure how often I plan to rotate the iPad in flight but perhaps the HSI should be returned to it's default position at the bottom of the screen whenever the iPad is rotated?

In the meantime, many thanks for a great app.
Biggles-EGKB
Biggles-EGKB
Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)

Christmas has come early again I see – VOR & ILS with GS enabled iPad SD -- Outstanding! Took it for a low level flight this morning (OK drove down the A21 bypass around Sevenoaks in Kent – at least it meant that I wasn’t going to penetrate class A airspace – tried that one on the policeman who stopped me and he wasn’t impressed!)

But I am impressed with the latest release of the software. Outstanding upgrade and once again puts SD where it should be; on top for those of us who want to fly on top and have extra information when coming back down to earth!

The free moving of the ILS instrument when “pulled out” is a little unusual and can; if incorrectly positioned; obscure some of the underlying information although I do like the facility to vary the size of the instrument. It would be useful to have a "FLAG" on the display to identify quickly which mode it is operating in VOR or ILS/GS.

Just a thought; but I have to say you’ve done it again and you have the heartfelt thanks of all of us.

PS Looking forward to next "Christmas Present" – Go on; give us a clue, so that I can prepare the policeman for the next time I’ll be seeing him down the A21!

Biggles -- EGKB
Edited 5/19/2012 9:26:54 AM by Biggles-EGKB
Colin Bond
Colin Bond
Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)
Same question, I cannot find any pull out tag for an HSI - help please?
Erwin
Erwin
Too Much Forum (344 reputation)Too Much Forum (344 reputation)Too Much Forum (344 reputation)Too Much Forum (344 reputation)Too Much Forum (344 reputation)Too Much Forum (344 reputation)Too Much Forum (344 reputation)Too Much Forum (344 reputation)Too Much Forum (344 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I can't find the HSI at bottem from my IPad . Or does only appear in flight?

With kind regards,
Erwin
Tags
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Maybe someone has turned off the DI/HSI in the instrument options. If you haven't, you'll see the DI at the bottom of the screen and it can be pulled out to reveal the HSI.
Colin Bond
Colin Bond
Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.3K reputation)
Brilliant, thanks.
Biggles-EGKB
Biggles-EGKB
Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (9.1K reputation)
There is no doubt that the inclusion of the ILS/HSI instrument makes for a much better understanding and comprehensive view of the aircraft's situation relative to the planned flight and is a real pleasure to use. Congratulations to the team for including it on the iPad.

However I do think that differentiating between the ILS & HSI modes of operation is not always clear, especially when flying the ILS and the aircraft is more than 2.5 degs off the localiser and/or 0.7 degs off the GS. (That's not a comment on my flying -- can I help it if the ground keeps on moving up and down!)

This ambiguity could be easily remedied by the inclusion of a FLAG within the instrument view to indicate under which mode SD is currently operating and thus being certain whether in ILS or HSI operational mode.

Of course I could ask "approach" to stop moving the ground; but that hasn't worked to date!!

Biggles -- EGKB
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search