SkyDemon Forums

VIRTUAL ILS -- INSTRUMENT VIEW

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic5528.aspx

By Biggles-EGKB - 3/28/2012 8:24:57 PM

Having used the WINCE and iPad version in flight I have to say that the software is outstanding and provides a level of reassurance which could lead to a reliance solely on SD rather than the formal training; maps and position fixing recommended by the CAA training programme. After all GPS based navigation is not to be the primary source of navigation, or so they say!

Although the iPad version of SD is far superior to the WINCE setup it will truly come of age when it also has the INSTRUMENT VIEW currently only available on the PC/WINCE platform.

Finally, it made me laugh the other day when I was approaching Lydd and the only GPS unit that still had satellite coverage wasn't the £8000 GARMIN unit; with twiddley knobs to do everything with mounted in the flight panel; but the yoke mounted "touch me" iPad trundling along doing what is does best NAVIGATING IN 3D and presenting that data in an idiot proof graphical form which is quick and easy to digest.

Verdict -- I like it. Come on give us the INSTRUMENT VIEW for the iPad
By Biggles-EGKB - 6/18/2012 11:40:31 PM

There is no doubt that the inclusion of the ILS/HSI instrument makes for a much better understanding and comprehensive view of the aircraft's situation relative to the planned flight and is a real pleasure to use. Congratulations to the team for including it on the iPad.

However I do think that differentiating between the ILS & HSI modes of operation is not always clear, especially when flying the ILS and the aircraft is more than 2.5 degs off the localiser and/or 0.7 degs off the GS. (That's not a comment on my flying -- can I help it if the ground keeps on moving up and down!)

This ambiguity could be easily remedied by the inclusion of a FLAG within the instrument view to indicate under which mode SD is currently operating and thus being certain whether in ILS or HSI operational mode.

Of course I could ask "approach" to stop moving the ground; but that hasn't worked to date!!