Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

UK military airfields switch to 8.33kHz channels

Author
DavidC
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
One issue to monitor this week and which hopefully will go away.

All UK military airfields have switched to using 8.33kHz channels. Many have been NOTAM'ed but the AIP database hasn't yet updated, so the old 25kHz frequencies remain shown on pop-up menus. This should be resolved with the next AIRAC cycle on 12 July, but probably worth double checking.

There are a few which don't have NOTAMs, so it's unclear if they will change. Examples include Little Rissington which operates an Air/Ground service (Rissington Radio) for gliding activities at weekends.

--- CPL/IR/FI based in South of England
DavidC
DavidC
Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (2.2K reputation)
DavidC - 7/7/2024 7:19:30 AM
One issue to monitor this week and which hopefully will go away.

All UK military airfields have switched to using 8.33kHz channels. Many have been NOTAM'ed but the AIP database hasn't yet updated, so the old 25kHz frequencies remain shown on pop-up menus. This should be resolved with the next AIRAC cycle on 12 July, but probably worth double checking.

There are a few which don't have NOTAMs, so it's unclear if they will change. Examples include Little Rissington which operates an Air/Ground service (Rissington Radio) for gliding activities at weekends.

The military AIP hasn't been updated with the adoption of 8.33kHz frequencies, so the old 25kHz ones still appear in SkyDemon. They are used a lot for LARS services, and although NOTAMed, I wonder if it might be worth making an exception. Brize LARS (now 124.280 rather than 124.275)  is frequently used in the areas where I fly, but of course there are quite a few to consider.

I will make representations that the Military AIP is updated.

As with the thread about Italian frequency changes, these really should be updated through the proper channels.

--- CPL/IR/FI based in South of England
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)
I know we did a whole lot of work around this, trying to use NOTAMs to update the frequencies where possible, because the AIP hasn't been updated. Clearly there is more to be done, though, and I'm sure we will have another go before the next AIRAC date. Thank you for your efforts also.
Boeingboy
Boeingboy
Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)
I know it's not ideal but if your plan depends on having the correct contact frequency the Military AIP is available here. Just go to the relevant airfield in the same way you would use the civil version. The frequencies are listed under ATS COMMUNICATION FACILITIES.

https://www.aidu.mod.uk/aip/aipVolumes.html#

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)
Unfortunately, the point here is that the Military AIP is not accurate.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search