Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Skydemon and other aircrafts

Author
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi
Would it be possible to integrate information from ADSBEXCHANGE.COM into SD as long as there is mobile connection? Data can be picked-up from ADSBEXCHANGE.COM and shown in SD in realtime. Most VFR flight is flown in altitudes where there is mobile connection.
If there is no mobile connection data should not be shown and maybe a comment or flag on the screen should show that.

When I analyze flights in Flysto.net from my Garmin 1000 NXI, they integrate data from ADSBEXCHANGE.COM - great - even with wake turbulence warning if I am close.

Regards
Martin

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)
Why?
PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Had to laugh at the wake turbulence caution from a C172 Smile
Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)Too Much Forum (10K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/18/2024 2:44:13 PM
Why?

Instead of investing in Pilotaware, Skyecho or other hardware that needs installation, separate power and cabling and depending on other hardware's GPS.

Would give SD another advantage over other systems and making the best VFR system even better.

Martin Bech
Martin Bech
PaulSS - 6/18/2024 4:19:05 PM
Had to laugh at the wake turbulence caution from a C172 Smile

Have you ever flown behind a Piper 28 - wake turbulence is real. That function is not so important.

Sky Painter
Sky Painter
Too Much Forum (51K reputation)Too Much Forum (51K reputation)Too Much Forum (51K reputation)Too Much Forum (51K reputation)Too Much Forum (51K reputation)Too Much Forum (51K reputation)Too Much Forum (51K reputation)Too Much Forum (51K reputation)Too Much Forum (51K reputation)
You can now integrate Safe Sky with SD and, like ADS-B Exchange, they get their data via ADS-B and MLAT. However, I'm not a fan because of the inherent latency and inaccuracies of MLAT.

Mike
4842, SD 4.0.0.0

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)SkyDemon Team (639K reputation)
We think it is far better to have hardware in the aircraft directly receiving signals from other traffic than using any internet-based system, with all the latency and connectivity issues the latter brings.

As Mike says, both options are available to you with SkyDemon. Many people seem to use and enjoy SafeSky, which is essentially doing the same thing proposed in the OP.

PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.2K reputation)
Until we can get 100% reliable Internet data into our aircraft, all of these 4G/5G based systems are simply not to be relied upon. Looking at my cellular coverage during my flight yesterday (2000') I estimate I had 4G data piped into my aircraft for 36% of the time. Luckily this is only adding to the direct-receive devices I have and not relying on it.

Even with direct-receive devices, people become too reliant on them providing all the information they need about other traffic (when we know this isn't the case). Imagine the same happening when people are doing the same with questionable gimmicks like SafeSky and 36% performance. Who on earth would want to put their name to building such unreliable gadgets into their existing, excellent, application?

In the future SafeSky et al may well be reliable enough to be considered decent EC. At the moment the infrastructure is not mature enough to allow them to be anything but gadgets and anyone who relies on them for EC is deluding themselves.

Martin Bech
Martin Bech
Thanks for the hint to Safesky - I will try that. 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search