Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

unwanted re-starts of SD

Author
R
Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The last few times my tablet re-started SD on its own, after having commenced SD myself a few minutes before. One flight it even flightlogged twice! Now to be honest, the touchscreen of my tablet is broken, not causing any problems with use or whatsoever, but maybe this could be the case if nobody else has this problem. I checked already, replacement is horrendously expensive.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)SkyDemon Team (636K reputation)
What kind of tablet is it, and what's its age?
Richard Branderhorst
R
Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)Too Much Forum (163 reputation)
Sorry Tim, msg reply on post not activated. (can't I have this feature standard in my settings like all other fora do?)
Samsung Galaxy tab S6, about 3 Yrs now. Features and uses on board SIM.
Last flight a couple of days ago, again the initial SD opening page a few minutes into the flight prep, however this time the route was still there.

Gerhard66
G
Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (5.3K reputation)
So you expect SD to program a workaround for a broken (!) tablet?
Richard Branderhorst
R
Gerhard66 - 5/13/2024 8:24:59 PM
So you expect SD to program a workaround for a broken (!) tablet?

Gerhard, no, of course not. It got broken probably the first year due to a generic tablet holder that cracked it. I thought it was a crack in the protection screen. About a year later I wanted to replace that protection screen, but the shop owner said there was none installed... So the display itself was cracked. It worked flawlessly all the time. But since a few months I have this shutdowns/restarts. Especially since that started, I was very careful not to touch anything after all was up and running, in order not to select anything because of "finger trouble".  So I am curious if I am the only one with this problem, then I agree, it is either possibly the display, or something changed in the program,  firm/software changes. or something interacting. However I use the tablet only for flying, of course there are a few programs like a mail program and telephone / programs running.
Richard

Boeingboy
Boeingboy
Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)Too Much Forum (150 reputation)
I've known tablets with cracked screens command events due to turbulence shifting the glass and creating a virtual fingerprint. That may account for your symptoms.

The Samsung Tab7 Lite is a cheap and easy alternative that runs SD perfectly. I run two whilst flying and have never suffered an issue with them. 

I note that many are now looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 which seems to be similar in cost. 
Richard Branderhorst
R
I love the 10,5" wide screen of my TAB S6, but it is a bit clumsy (and part of the reason of the damage). Blocks a lot instrument pavement... and mounting on one's  thigh, interferes with the Cessna control wheel or a stick....
Hmm, the A9 is cheaper than a replacement screen for my S9.....

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search