Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

User documents on newer Android versions

Author
S
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there,

Google restricted access to the android/data folders beginning with Android 11 (if I remeber correctly). Now with Android 14 you cannot write to the folder used to store user PDFs, which is located in the SkyDemon app's folder below android/data. There seems to be no easy way to write documents there w/o rooting the device or using advanced remote debugging features.

Therefore I suggest to implement an import functionality to import user documents into SkyDemon on a specific device. This way SkyDemon can handle the file storage transparently and may overcome certain restrictions.

Thx,
Stefan

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
That's already the recommended way of getting user documents into SkyDemon. If you have a PDF file, you should be able to "open" it with SkyDemon, which will import it into that folder.
SierraGolf
S
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 3/26/2024 10:38:14 AM
That's already the recommended way of getting user documents into SkyDemon. If you have a PDF file, you should be able to "open" it with SkyDemon, which will import it into that folder.

Hi Tim, thank you for the reply. However, I found no way to "open with" SkyDemon. I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 lite running Android 14 and the latest SkyDemon version. Using a file explorer app I try to "open with" a pdf document resting in the downloads folder. However, SkyDemon is not among the apps shown as choices. Using "send" instead of "open with" presents more choices but again no SkyDemon there. What's the trick?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Hmm, I am not sure. Could you contact our customer support about this? We'll be able to look into it properly for you.
SierraGolf
S
Tim Dawson - 3/27/2024 10:25:42 AM
Hmm, I am not sure. Could you contact our customer support about this? We'll be able to look into it properly for you.

Sure!

SierraGolf
S
Tim Dawson - 3/27/2024 10:25:42 AM

I mailed the issue to support. Hannah replied that there is no "open with SkyDemon" feature, you have to copy the file to android/data/... The folder is write protected for newer Android versions as part of Google's security "improvements", 
So, "open with SkyDemon" or some other means of importing a pdf (or any file) into SkyDemon would be helpful in my opinion.

Edited 3/28/2024 8:37:53 AM by SierraGolf
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Ok, that makes sense. If you have made that point back to Hannah, she will ensure it's a topic of discussion at our next development meeting.
SierraGolf
S
Tim Dawson - 3/28/2024 9:45:03 AM
Ok, that makes sense. If you have made that point back to Hannah, she will ensure it's a topic of discussion at our next development meeting.

Yes, I did. I am looking forward to your development meeting :-)

Edited 3/28/2024 11:04:14 AM by SierraGolf
Boeingboy
Boeingboy
Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)
For what it's worth I'm not seeing this problem. Using Windows 10 and Android 14 on a Samsung Tab A7 Lite I can still access the data folder through my PC and paste and delete files in and out. Charts are readable using Adobe Reader as before. 

What I can't do is view the Android folder through the tablet. That is blocked and a message 'Due to Android restrictions, the contents of this folder can only be shown on a computer'.

I guess the editing of user files is only available through a PC. 

SierraGolf
S
Boeingboy - 3/28/2024 3:48:12 PM
For what it's worth I'm not seeing this problem. Using Windows 10 and Android 14 on a Samsung Tab A7 Lite I can still access the data folder through my PC and paste and delete files in and out. Charts are readable using Adobe Reader as before. 

What I can't do is view the Android folder through the tablet. That is blocked and a message 'Due to Android restrictions, the contents of this folder can only be shown on a computer'.

I guess the editing of user files is only available through a PC. 

You are right, it is possible to write into the android/data folder through a PC connection. But when on tour I usually do not have a PC/laptop with me, and I would like to be able to add downloaded charts and such to SkyDemon, using my tablet only.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search