Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Samsung Tab 8 32GB

Author
M
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
After using a couple of TAB 4's I thought the TAB 8 might be a good upgrade.  The screen resolution for SD is very good.

The only problem has been it will not log onto location services in the aircraft or will drop out.  Location services is on and on high accuracy.  Other devices will pick up the location in an instant.  The device is slow to locate anyway.  I do have a surround case on it and place it on my knee in my C152.

I would consider an external GPS receiver, like the ones sold by Transair

I have tested the device on the ground, it works in cars and buses fine. Good way of practising SD!

We have pilot aware in the A/C and I usually connect a Motorola phone to this to use as course up display and traffic info.

I have used the TAB 8 tethered to a Samsung A5 phone for internet (when it works whilst flying)

Contacted Hannah at SD, as usual very helpful.  Contacted Samsung (useless). Did not seem to think the tablet has GPS.
The 'techy' at Currys was of no use either.

Any advice appreciated.

Mike Heath

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)
Why not use the PilotAware as the GPS source for your tablet, if it doesn't have its own GPS?
Mike Heath
M
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 3/19/2024 11:12:23 AM
Why not use the PilotAware as the GPS source for your tablet, if it doesn't have its own GPS?

Hi Tim,
I tried that on yesterdays flight and it works fine!  The GPS in the tab is just not as good as the earlier ones!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search