Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Is SkyDemon on a Mac now as good as PC?

Author
M
Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)Forum Member (45 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all, have searched and seen the development of SkyDemon and Macs towards compatibility, but can someone kindly tell me if the Mac experience is now on a par with the PC version?

I’m about to replace my desktop and the only software keeping me on a pc is SkyDemon!

Planning, printing and reviewing flights / logs are what matter most to me on the desktop version.

Thanks in-advance,

Martin.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
SkyDemon for Mac is nearly identical to SkyDemon for iOS, so I'd suggest trying it on an iPad to see what it's like.

SkyDemon for PC is quite different.

BS
B
Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)Junior Member (21 reputation)
Martin1099 - 1/28/2024 11:45:18 AM
Hi all, have searched and seen the development of SkyDemon and Macs towards compatibility, but can someone kindly tell me if the Mac experience is now on a par with the PC version?I’m about to replace my desktop and the only software keeping me on a pc is SkyDemon!Planning, printing and reviewing flights / logs are what matter most to me on the desktop version. Thanks in-advance,Martin.

I have an Intel-based MacBook Air and set up a Windows partition using Boot Camp so I can dip into the PC version of SD when I want to. Of course this won't work with the newer M1/M2 Mac's. 

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
BS - 2/5/2024 12:30:29 PM
Hi all, have searched and seen the development of SkyDemon and Macs towards compatibility, but can someone kindly tell me if the Mac experience is now on a par with the PC version?I’m about to replace my desktop and the only software keeping me on a pc is SkyDemon!Planning, printing and reviewing flights / logs are what matter most to me on the desktop version. Thanks in-advance,Martin.

I have an Intel-based MacBook Air and set up a Windows partition using Boot Camp so I can dip into the PC version of SD when I want to. Of course this won't work with the newer M1/M2 Mac's. 

An alternative to that on an Intel Mac is to use a virtualisation platform such as VirtualBox (free), VMWare or Parallels. These allow you to run a copy of Windows without having to reboot everytime you want to do so. 

Jean-Louis MONIN
J
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)
grahamb - 2/6/2024 7:29:26 AM
BS - 2/5/2024 12:30:29 PM

An alternative to that on an Intel Mac is to use a virtualisation platform such as VirtualBox (free), VMWare or Parallels. These allow you to run a copy of Windows without having to reboot everytime you want to do so. 

Hi,
I have a macbook air from 2020 with a M1 processor and SD runs correctly. I may have issues with the simulation mode, I can not move the plane the way it is described in the manual (the 'Q' key does not advance the aircraft by one NM, and it seems that the arrows are inoperant, but all in all, it is OK. 
JL

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
To move the aircraft in simulate mode, just drag it with the mouse or your finger.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search