Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Fuel volume versus mass

Author
k
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm trying to set up and use a profile for my aircraft. I have set "Fuel Measurement" to be by volume (litres). When I enter weight and balance for a flight plan I can enter the fuel volume, e.g. 30 L, but when the corresponding fuel weight is calculated further down in the form it assumes a fuel weight of 1 kg/L and calculates 30 kg of fuel which is very conservative when doing calculations for ultralight aircraft with small margins. I can of course manually override this, but then I have to remember to do the conversion each time myself.  Is there a setting I can tweak so that the entered fuel volume is converted to the approximately correct fuel mass?

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Are you sure it’s displaying the fuel on the W&B form as kg?

The normal W&B form usually displays the fuel line in your nominated units (litres, USG etc) but the weight used in the actual calculation will be converted correctly. Try adding it up and see what you get.

kolaf
k
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)
grahamb - 12/16/2023 9:17:44 PM
Are you sure it’s displaying the fuel on the W&B form as kg?The normal W&B form usually displays the fuel line in your nominated units (litres, USG etc) but the weight used in the actual calculation will be converted correctly. Try adding it up and see what you get.

Thanks, I think I figured it out. The profile included an explicit fuel loading point. If I understand correctly fuel is already handled and does not need to be included as a loading point. I removed it and it looks like fuel is accounted for as it should.

The weird thing is that when I changed the fuel amount in liters, it updated the extra fuel loading point with the same value, only in kg.

Have i understood this correctly?

Edited 12/16/2023 11:01:21 PM by kolaf
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Correct. The distance from datum for fuel is specified in the section where you define the tank capacity, and not with the rest of the loading points.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search