Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Integration of SafeSky and SkyDemon

Author
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Tim,
I wonder if I can get some clarification regarding running SkyDemon and SafeSky simultaneously on a small screen Android smartphone, when also using SkyEcho 2 (SE2) as a "connected" ADS-B In receiver?
If I understand correctly, SE2 uses an in-built baro sensor so that my "own ship" altitude is correctly detected by SkyDemon with reference to 1013.2 hPa. That is necessary for SkyDemon's collision avoidance algorithms to function correctly as my ADS-B Out altitude is also with reference to 1013.2 hPa.
I believe SafeSky detected aircraft transmit their altitude with reference to WGS84, otherwise known simply as GPS altitude.
So, will SkyDemon's collision avoidance algorithms work correctly (and accurately) if a "SafeSky" detected aircraft is close by, or is seen as a potential collision risk?
I am a bit confused regarding the different altitude references used by SkyDemon/SE2/SafeSky. 

Lastly, I presume there aren't any integration issues with running SkyDemon and SafeSky together on a single, small screen, Android smartphone, but also communicating with my SE2?
Thanks
Tony

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)
I'm afraid we (at SkyDemon) do not know the answer to this question because we don't know how SafeSky integrates other devices. If everything it's sending to us conforms with the GDL90 protocol and it's doing a perfect job of integration, then all should be fine.
Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Tim Dawson - 12/14/2023 10:38:00 AM
I'm afraid we (at SkyDemon) do not know the answer to this question because we don't know how SafeSky integrates other devices. If everything it's sending to us conforms with the GDL90 protocol and it's doing a perfect job of integration, then all should be fine.

Tim,
Thanks.
I think, though could be wrong, that "GDL90 protocol" just refers to how the "data format/connection" between devices are made, but what about the issue of which altitude reference is used?
I presume your collision avoidance algorithms use the 1013.2 reference for altitude but I am not sure what SafeSky would be sending to SkyDemon for aircraft that SafeSky "detects".
Any ideas, or could this be checked or clarified?
Thanks
Tony

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)SkyDemon Team (626K reputation)
I've no idea what they are sending us.

GDL90 devices should be sending us both the barometric and GNSS altitude of your own aircraft (device). Therefore, when they almost always only send us the barometric altitude of other aircraft, we can do the calculations such that we are comparing like for like when it comes to proximity detection.

Since SafeSky does its own processing of traffic, and integration of other receivers, I couldn't say exactly what it's doing.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search