Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

IFR planning in Skydemon

Author
c
Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi guys,

I am trying to use Skydemon for IFR planning. However, despite putting all settings to IFR (ans also seeing the routes), when planning a route, it always just gives me a direct. What can I do to have Skydemon plan a route for me? And if it doesn't work, how can I use eg Autorouter or anything else to plan it?
I am trying to avoid Foreflight. Please help me out.

BR
Constantin 

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
constantin_w - 11/30/2023 7:58:52 PM
Hi guys,

I am trying to use Skydemon for IFR planning. However, despite putting all settings to IFR (ans also seeing the routes), when planning a route, it always just gives me a direct. What can I do to have Skydemon plan a route for me? And if it doesn't work, how can I use eg Autorouter or anything else to plan it?
I am trying to avoid Foreflight. Please help me out.

BR
Constantin 

SkyDemon has no IFR route planning capability.

You can create a validated route in Autorouter and export it in SkyDemon format. Doing it on the same device as SD makes it really easy to import it. There’s a section in the Autorouter Wiki that describes the process. 

Edited 11/30/2023 11:17:37 PM by grahamb
constantin_w
c
Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)Too Much Forum (56 reputation)
Thanks for the answer. Still a real pitty. Let's hope this is one of the next development steps. I would realy like to avoid foreflight if I could.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
constantin_w - 12/1/2023 2:14:02 PM
Thanks for the answer. Still a real pitty. Let's hope this is one of the next development steps. I would realy like to avoid foreflight if I could.

I doubt very much it ever will be based on what Tim D has said about this subject in the past.

And before you ask, it's equally unlikely that Jeppesen plates will be available in SD! 

Boeingboy
Boeingboy
Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)
For what it's worth my system for IFR planning is use either the UK SRD or Autorouter to plan a route and then trace it out in SD's airways mode. I then create a (VFR) flight plan and copy the text from that into the route section of EuroFPL and run a route checker on it. When it comes up with an approval I store that for filing. 

As SD can only show the AIP plates I download and 'print to .pdf' the Jeppesen plates from Navigraph. Comparing these with the AIP charts for currency and accuracy means they can either be stored within the 'user document' section or printed to paper. 

Before anyone gets excited about using a flight sim site for approach charts, be aware that it's now very common amongst the GA / IR  fraternity and so long as the charts have been checked they are regarded as good for use. I pass my full IR each year with them.

Having filed the plan through EuroFPL I then load the route to my Avidyne IFD direct from SkyDemon. I then fly with SD mostly in VFR mode (but airways if necessary) and make most route adjustments on SD first before updating the IFD to follow.   
Edited 2/5/2024 6:18:11 PM by Boeingboy
Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)
Boeingboy - 2/5/2024 3:18:19 PM
I then create a (VFR) flight plan and copy the text from that into the route section of EuroFPL and run a route checker on it. When it comes up with an approval I store that for filing.

why don't you file directly from Autorouter?

Boeingboy
Boeingboy
Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)Too Much Forum (106 reputation)
Adam Erchegyi - 2/5/2024 3:44:35 PM

No reason why not really Adam. I guess it's just a routine that I've got into. Autorouter is a very good program. It does tend to produce some roundabout routes though. I've found that flights within the UK are best served by checking the AIP Standard Routes Document between desired airfields or waypoints and then seeing if the route gets approval in EuroFPL. 

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)
Boeingboy - 2/5/2024 6:20:22 PM
Adam Erchegyi - 2/5/2024 3:44:35 PM

It does tend to produce some roundabout routes though. 

Just file it, ATC won't let it happen, you get directs anyway 😉

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Interesting to hear your workflow, Boeingboy. Can I ask about the part where you "trace out" your Autorouter-generated route in SkyDemon? I was under the impression Autorouter had an easy button for quickly opening your route in SkyDemon exactly as planned/validated.
Boeingboy
Boeingboy
Tim Dawson - 2/6/2024 10:26:08 AM
Interesting to hear your workflow, Boeingboy. Can I ask about the part where you "trace out" your Autorouter-generated route in SkyDemon? I was under the impression Autorouter had an easy button for quickly opening your route in SkyDemon exactly as planned/validated.

To be honest with you Tim I've not delved deeply enough into Autorouter to find that out but I'll investigate.
_________
Mmm! Having created a route from Jersey to Chester I find there's a 'SkyDemon' flight plan included with the .pdf briefing package but having downloaded it I can't find any reference to it within. Perhaps I'm missing something? 
That said, you have to be impressed in what Autorouter does provide. 
Edited 2/6/2024 5:56:21 PM by Boeingboy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search