Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Latest iOS compatibility

Author
matthew_w100
Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
My two beloved but elderly iPads are refusing to upgrade SD from version 3.16.9 to 3.16.10.  They are running iOS 9.3.5 (yeah, I know!).  Close inspection of the requirements list reveals that SD now requires iOS 10 as a minimum.  Out of interest I'd love to know which new feature forced this change?

More importantly, how long will my 3.16.9 continue to operate before it struggles with the aeronautical and map data downloads?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Our build tools no longer even allow us to target iOS 9 with new version updates, sorry. It's out of our hands.

It's impossible to answer your last question. We take backwards compatibility seriously and tend to support old versions way longer than most companies do, but there will always come a time when doing so becomes more expense than it's worth. It's normally a "many years" timeframe though.

matthew_w100
matthew_w100
Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)Too Much Forum (74 reputation)
Thanks Tim - I now understand a bit more about how the Apple infrastructure works.  It's a shame - I was in France when the new version of SD became available and the FIR boundaries being shown would have been handy.

I shall use the situation to demonstrate to my household Financial Controller that a new tablet is required.  Which would you recommend between an iPad Air or a Samsung S8 Plus?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
I have very little experience of the Samsung tablets, so am not in a position to make such a recommendation. We normally use iPads here.
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
matthew_w100 - 10/6/2023 8:31:45 AM
I shall use the situation to demonstrate to my household Financial Controller that a new tablet is required.  Which would you recommend between an iPad Air or a Samsung S8 Plus?

There's a thread on the PilotAware forum where some people have had problems with unstable connections between device/SD and PAW  after upgrading their Samsung device to another with Android 15.

If you are a PAW user, it may be worth looking more into this if you are considering a Samsung.

Edited 10/12/2023 10:43:05 AM by grahamb
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search