Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

ATIS

Author
fdemon
Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I asked Google BARD:
"in uk airspace is there any service that you can use to obtain airport ATIS information without tuning into the ATIS channel itself"

It replied

"Yes, there are a few services that you can use to obtain airport ATIS information in UK airspace without tuning into the ATIS channel itself. These services include:

• NATS Aeronautical Information Service (AIS): The NATS AIS provides a variety of aeronautical information, including ATIS information, for airports in the UK. You can access the NATS AIS online or by calling their information line.
  • FlightAware: FlightAware is a flight tracking service that also provides ATIS information for some airports in the UK. You can access the FlightAware ATIS information on their website or by using their mobile app.
  • ForeFlight: ForeFlight is a flight planning and weather app that also provides ATIS information for some airports in the UK. You can access the ForeFlight ATIS information on their website or by using their mobile app.
  • SkyDemon: SkyDemon is another flight planning and weather app that provides ATIS information for some airports in the UK. You can access the SkyDemon ATIS information on their website or by using their mobile app.
To find the ATIS information for a specific airport, you can use the search function on the website or app of the service you are using. Once you have found the ATIS information, you will be able to see the latest weather conditions, active runways, and other important information for the airport."

I know generative AI doesn't tell the truth all of the time but is there such a facility in Sky Demon? I haven't been able to find anything yet. 

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
SD should provide ATIS frequencies if the airfield are selected as part of your route, or alternates etc.
Have you tried VOLMET via your radio?

fdemon
fdemon
Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)Too Much Forum (370 reputation)
I'm interested in the ATIS content, not the frequencies. So things like active runway, QFE, QNH. 

I can't see much of use on VOLMET except as a non-VHF service. It also seems just to give weather forecasts. Are you saying there is a VHF frequency I could tune over Benson that would give real-time ATIS data for Bristol?

Edited 8/26/2023 3:19:20 PM by fdemon
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Some airports will broadcast their ATIS on a phone number which you can dial airborned if you have a signal.

It sounds as though you're really asking for METAR, which can be received by SD when airborne assuming you have 1) a SIM card in your device 2) The 'Internet connection while airborne' setting toggled on, and 3) a mobile signal.

Other devices such as PilotAware, or the Golze ADL devices can also receive METARs when airborne.

fdemon
fdemon
grahamb - 8/26/2023 6:08:56 PM
It sounds as though you're really asking for METAR.

SD shows METARs but they are not the same as ATIS. ATIS is what is currently in force at the airport. METAR shows forecast wind but not at this moment in time and it doesn't indicate what the runway in use is, or the current QNH.

My guess is BARD is wrong. SD does not report ATIS. 

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
fdemon - 8/26/2023 6:23:46 PM
grahamb - 8/26/2023 6:08:56 PM
It sounds as though you're really asking for METAR.

SD shows METARs but they are not the same as ATIS. ATIS is what is currently in force at the airport. METAR shows forecast wind but not at this moment in time and it doesn't indicate what the runway in use is, or the current QNH.

My guess is BARD is wrong. SD does not report ATIS. 

I beg to differ. METAR stands for METeorological Actual Report; and shows the actual wind, visibility, cloud and QNH etc. at the reported time, and is normally issued at the same time as the ATIS.

No runway information, but why do you need to know that, if you can’t infer in from the reported wind, any earlier than the point at which you could pick up the live ATIS? I really can’t see why you need to know which runway is in use when over Benson.

A genuine question - are you are a real pilot or a simmer?

Edited 8/26/2023 9:50:11 PM by grahamb
PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
If there was a capability of being able to receive ATIS I assume it would be via the Internet and require a 4G/5G connection to the device on which SD is working. It would be nice if it could be done and, probably, just be posted on the weather page.

It would be something that I probably would not use, as the speeds at which I travel in GA do not really require it, neither does my approach set up and execution.

Having said that, there are probably SD users out there who would benefit from it if they are flying more complex or performance limited aircraft. For the complex aircraft it is useful to know the runway and approach type in use so they can set up and prepare it in whichever navigation equipment they are using (think RNAV approach, where some prep and prior briefing is needed). For the performance-limited aircraft they may need to know the Runway Condition Report (dry, wet, contaminated etc) to ensure they have landing performance. Neither of these pieces of information are available on a METAR.

I suppose it boils down to just how many SD users would fall into those categories and I would imagine that number is very small and probably not worth Tim & Co adding it as a feature.

Nice gadget though and cheaper than ACARS.

fdemon
fdemon
 I really can’t see why you need to know which runway is in use when over Benson.

You are right. Over Benson I am probably more interested in London QNH, having come from Birmingham QNH. A better example might be approaching Luton and being able to see ATIS without switching channels so if I wait and make a call with Information Echo I don't risk their saying it's now Information Foxtrot. So no, certainly not worth SD going to the trouble of implementing this. However a) it would be nice if were already available and b) this is 2023 and not 1968 which is when I trained to be a pilot and since when time has more or less stood still from the point of view of GA pilots Sad
A genuine question - are you are a real pilot or a simmer?
I fly real small planes and a Boeing 737-800 static simulator, The latter is frozen in time about 10 years ago so I'm not too fussy about verisimilitude Smile

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
What you're asking for is access to digital ATIS information, which doesn't currently exist in the UK.

No comment on the usefulness of Google Bard.

grahamb
grahamb
fdemon - 8/27/2023 6:59:04 PM
 and not 1968 which is when I trained to be a pilot and since when time has more or less stood still from the point of view of GA pilots 

I think if that were really true, we would not be having this conversation Smile

You do realise that ATIS is normally updated at 20 minutes and 50 minutes past the hour, don't you? It's unlikely to change unexpectedly between 'tunings in' if you keep those times in mind.

Edited 8/29/2023 12:35:41 PM by grahamb
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search