Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Where can I quickly find the frequencies?

Author
AM22
Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I only notice some of SD's behavior when I am in the air and flying.
Especially in the very complex Italian airspace, it is often necessary to reach the responsible ATC very quickly.
I therefore always try to be a little ahead of my aircraft and already set the next frequencies on the radio. 
Unfortunately, I often do not get the necessary frequencies (e.g. radar or approach frequencies) when tapping the airspace ahead of me, but only an info frequency. 
The info frequencies are chronically overloaded in Italy and you can hardly get through to the controller. Why are more frequencies not displayed? Not even when selecting the "Radio" button?
Example: Take the VFR reporting point "AIXBA" near Verona. This is below the Milano-Mantuova CTA (2500ft - 5500ft) and also below the Verona CTA (5500ft - FL195). When I tap on this point, I only get the frequency of Milano Information (124.925) and the monitor frequency for the TMZ, without any further information as to which ATC unit this frequency belongs. However, if I tap and hold my finger on Verona/Villafranca Airport right next to AIXBA, I get all frequencies, including the one that can give me a "clearance" to fly through the airspace above AIXBA (Milano Radar). Milano Information itself does not give any clearances.
Have I overlooked something? Especially if you are traveling a bit faster, such information must be available long "before" you reach the next or the next but one airspace!

What is your opinion on this?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
In most AIPs, for each piece of controlled airspace that exists, the AIP lists the unit and frequency responsible for issuing clearances to enter that airspace. Unfortunately AIP Italia is not like this, so we cannot feed that information through to the user. Instead, to use your example of Milano-Mantuova, the AIP simply lists "MILANO ACC" next to all pieces. If we search the AIP for MILANO ACC we can find it listed with many different frequencies next to it, meaning it isn't clear which (if any) we should record for pilots.

If as the pilot, you know how the local system works and can identify which of an airport's frequencies is going to be the correct one, you can (as you say) simply tap the airport itself to see many of its frequencies.

AM22
AM22
Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)Too Much Forum (68 reputation)
This is the solution as I currently practice it. 
Of course it is sometimes difficult to hit the airfield with the finger when it is a bit turbulent and the tablet is mounted in front of the co-pilot seat. 
Maybe the SD team could think about how to solve the problem more efficiently, e.g. with the "radio" button to list all frequency of the nearest airport(s)? 
Thanks for your support!

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The Radio tab did used to work that way, including the frequencies of all nearby airfields. The trouble was, there could easily be 20-30 nearby airfields, so it ended up being more difficult finding the one you wanted, than simply tapping it on the map.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search