Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Semi-circular rule

Author
darrenba
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
A warning message to act as a prompt to check when setting altitudes > 3,000 that do not conform to the semi-circular rule. Sky Demon is a VFR app so that removes uncertainty around it being a VFR sector and makes the rules easy to apply. For instance, should I plan to fly 4,200 feet on a magnetic track of 200 deg, perhaps a warning message could appear at some stage in the workflow (on Save perhaps) ‘Semi-circular rule requires 4,500 feet for this track.’

Eurostar EV-97
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
darrenba - 7/16/2023 5:41:24 AM
A warning message to act as a prompt to check when setting altitudes > 3,000 that do not conform to the semi-circular rule. Sky Demon is a VFR app so that removes uncertainty around it being a VFR sector and makes the rules easy to apply. For instance, should I plan to fly 4,200 feet on a magnetic track of 200 deg, perhaps a warning message could appear at some stage in the workflow (on Save perhaps) ‘Semi-circular rule requires 4,500 feet for this track.’

I can define my flight as VFR, IFR or Mixed in SD. 

What message would you propose if I have my flight defined as Mixed?  Should it perform a similar but slightly different check if my flight is defined as IFR? What about a transit through controlled airspace, where it's very possible to be assigned a level which will not comply with the semicircular rule?

In the UK (and possibly other states as well) it's no longert a legal requirement to follow the semicircular rule when VFR, you can fly at any level you like - see CAA publication ORS4 1423.

marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)
grahamb - 7/16/2023 9:30:30 AM
darrenba - 7/16/2023 5:41:24 AM

I can define my flight as VFR, IFR or Mixed in SD. 

What message would you propose if I have my flight defined as Mixed?  Should it perform a similar but slightly different check if my flight is defined as IFR? What about a transit through controlled airspace, where it's very possible to be assigned a level which will not comply with the semicircular rule?

In the UK (and possibly other states as well) it's no longert a legal requirement to follow the semicircular rule when VFR, you can fly at any level you like - see CAA publication ORS4 1423.

Low priority for me
But it could just be an entry in the warning tab
PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Waste of time. Too many pilots don't need to fly semi-circular rules and if you do and don't know what level to fly, hang up your headset.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search