SkyDemon Forums

Semi-circular rule

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic36119.aspx

By marioair - 9/1/2023 7:59:34 PM

grahamb - 7/16/2023 9:30:30 AM
darrenba - 7/16/2023 5:41:24 AM
A warning message to act as a prompt to check when setting altitudes > 3,000 that do not conform to the semi-circular rule. Sky Demon is a VFR app so that removes uncertainty around it being a VFR sector and makes the rules easy to apply. For instance, should I plan to fly 4,200 feet on a magnetic track of 200 deg, perhaps a warning message could appear at some stage in the workflow (on Save perhaps) ‘Semi-circular rule requires 4,500 feet for this track.’

I can define my flight as VFR, IFR or Mixed in SD. 

What message would you propose if I have my flight defined as Mixed?  Should it perform a similar but slightly different check if my flight is defined as IFR? What about a transit through controlled airspace, where it's very possible to be assigned a level which will not comply with the semicircular rule?

In the UK (and possibly other states as well) it's no longert a legal requirement to follow the semicircular rule when VFR, you can fly at any level you like - see CAA publication ORS4 1423.

Low priority for me
But it could just be an entry in the warning tab
By PaulSS - 9/1/2023 9:38:26 PM

Waste of time. Too many pilots don't need to fly semi-circular rules and if you do and don't know what level to fly, hang up your headset.
By darrenba - 7/16/2023 5:41:24 AM

A warning message to act as a prompt to check when setting altitudes > 3,000 that do not conform to the semi-circular rule. Sky Demon is a VFR app so that removes uncertainty around it being a VFR sector and makes the rules easy to apply. For instance, should I plan to fly 4,200 feet on a magnetic track of 200 deg, perhaps a warning message could appear at some stage in the workflow (on Save perhaps) ‘Semi-circular rule requires 4,500 feet for this track.’