Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Real CAA charts

Author
F
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

First post here. Sorry if this has been asked before - I have tried searching but only came up with stuff from around 2015 which seems to have been when a change was made to how the charts are provided, and none have quite the same question.

I've had a 9 year hiatus from flying since my kids were born, and I'm trying to get back into it now. I've used to use AirNav Pro on my iPad and I'm now trying out SkyDemon - my first instinct tells me SD is far better in terms of ease of use. That said, one thing I really liked about ANP was its ability to display the real aeronautical charts produced by the CAA.

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to have the real CAA half mil charts displayed within SkyDemon, potentially layered with all the SD vector information on top?

I know there's the little layers icon at the bottom right corner which allows you to change to displaying SD maps with UK CAA styling, but that's not quite the same as the actual charts.

Thanks

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
FlyingCodeMonkey - 6/23/2023 9:15:51 AM
Hi all,

First post here. Sorry if this has been asked before - I have tried searching but only came up with stuff from around 2015 which seems to have been when a change was made to how the charts are provided, and none have quite the same question.

I've had a 9 year hiatus from flying since my kids were born, and I'm trying to get back into it now. I've used to use AirNav Pro on my iPad and I'm now trying out SkyDemon - my first instinct tells me SD is far better in terms of ease of use. That said, one thing I really liked about ANP was its ability to display the real aeronautical charts produced by the CAA.

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to have the real CAA half mil charts displayed within SkyDemon, potentially layered with all the SD vector information on top?

I know there's the little layers icon at the bottom right corner which allows you to change to displaying SD maps with UK CAA styling, but that's not quite the same as the actual charts.

Thanks

Simple answer, no.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
The "real" charts you speak of are out of date from the moment you receive them. SkyDemon has never supported such charts, instead offering vectorised charts that are superior in practically every way, including being updated every 28 days and flexibly zoomable. Not a great deal of people still fly with a CAA chart, so it's worth persevering with the SkyDemon one - possibly with the CAA colours - to give it a proper chance.

As Graham says, SkyDemon will not be including any printed charts.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search