Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Navigation improvement suggestions

Author
MarcP
Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've been using skydemon for a couple of months in several flights (I fly a microlight aircraft).
I'd like to suggest some improvements during navigation :

1) I'd like to see the ETA of the end of the route as an instrument. I can only see the ETA of the next waypoint rn.
When I plan a route, I use waypoints to avoid specific zones or to set some points of interest, but the ETA to this points doesn't mean much for me. However, the ETA to the end is important for fuel estimations, or to inform other people when are you arriving.

2) I'd like to see in what type of airspace I am flying, maybe as an instrument (big letter A,D,G,...)
The app warns me when I am entering or leaving an airspace, but it's not easy to see in what type of airspace I am in (and hopefully the upper and lower levels).

Congrats for such a good app!

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
MarcP - 10/26/2022 2:38:00 PM
I've been using skydemon for a couple of months in several flights (I fly a microlight aircraft).

1) I'd like to see the ETA of the end of the route as an instrument. I can only see the ETA of the next waypoint rn.
When I plan a route, I use waypoints to avoid specific zones or to set some points of interest, but the ETA to this points doesn't mean much for me. However, the ETA to the end is important for fuel estimations, or to inform other people when are you arriving.

2) I'd like to see in what type of airspace I am flying, maybe as an instrument (big letter A,D,G,...)
The app warns me when I am entering or leaving an airspace, but it's not easy to see in what type of airspace I am in (and hopefully the upper and lower levels).

1) Did you try to tap the "ETA nxt" field? It will - all by magic! BigGrin - turn to "ETA end".
2) there is a clear differentiation in the profile view between controlled and uncontrolled airspace. I guess you are flying mostly in E and G airspace and you want to know for the required cloud clearance, don't you? Practically you rather need your height AGL for that which you can also get by tapping your altitude field.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)

If you touch the chart close to your aircraft, the 'What's here' pop-up will show you a vertical airspace profile, labelled with airspace classes, and at what level your planned route intesects it.

MarcP
MarcP
Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)
Adam Erchegyi - 10/26/2022 3:35:01 PM

1) Did you try to tap the "ETA nxt" field? It will - all by magic! BigGrin - turn to "ETA end".
2) there is a clear differentiation in the profile view between controlled and uncontrolled airspace. I guess you are flying mostly in E and G airspace and you want to know for the required cloud clearance, don't you? Practically you rather need your height AGL for that which you can also get by tapping your altitude field.
Thank you very much for your quick answer. 

1) When I tapped the ETA nxt field it changed to distance, but another tap changed to ETA end, so problem solved! XD

2) Sometimes I fly close to the edge between 2 airspaces, and as the warning sound is the same when entering and leaving the airspace, I'd be very helpful to see if I am still in G or I have entered a D (with a quick look at the screen).   When you fly in an uncontrolled airspace, there are a lot of changes in airspace's altitudes. So this is why I think that it'd be very useful to have the airspace code fixed in the main screen (as it was an intrument)

MarcP
MarcP
grahamb - 10/26/2022 4:58:58 PM

If you touch the chart close to your aircraft, the 'What's here' pop-up will show you a vertical airspace profile, labelled with airspace classes, and at what level your planned route intesects it.
Thank you! 

Yes, I know this feature (and I usually use it), but this is what I'd like to avoid. A big letter of the current airspace on the main screen whould really help me.  For example a big "G" and small text below (SFC-4500), so I can always be aware what are my limits.

This is an example of my suggestion (adding a new "instrument"):

Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
MarcP - 10/27/2022 8:36:21 AM
 to see if I am still in G or I have entered a D

Sounds like way too late

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
We won't be adding a new instrument just to display what class of airspace you're currently in, when (as others have said) the Virtual Radar ought to make this very clear.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search