Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

ADSB in the UK?

Author
C
Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello from the USA😊

I'm a newly minted 68 year old Recreational Pilot living in the NorthEast. Recreational Pilot, if this is not something you have in your country, is basically Private Pilot with certain limitations. I can still fly anywhere in the US and into any airspace 10,000' or below. I'm one of less than 100 such pilots. It's a certificate not well understood or promoted, sadly. Many more could be flying if they knew of this. Anyway, enough about me.

My interest is in ADSB. My understanding is, in the UK, it is not required for smaller aircraft less than around 5000lbs(?). Be that as it may, how many such pilots are getting it installed, I wonder?

Here in the US, it is required... and on every plane... if you wish to fly into Class A, B or C airspace or Class E above 10,000'.

The cost is relatively low. Around $2,000 for a wing or tail mounted ADSB out unit plus another $300 for the ADSB in receiver to connect to your tablet running Skydeamon.

George
Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Chesterspal - 10/5/2022 10:55:32 AM
Hello from the USA😊I'm a newly minted 68 year old Recreational Pilot living in the NorthEast. Recreational Pilot, if this is not something you have in your country, is basically Private Pilot with certain limitations. I can still fly anywhere in the US and into any airspace 10,000' or below. I'm one of less than 100 such pilots. It's a certificate not well understood or promoted, sadly. Many more could be flying if they knew of this. Anyway, enough about me.My interest is in ADSB. My understanding is, in the UK, it is not required for smaller aircraft less than around 5000lbs(?). Be that as it may, how many such pilots are getting it installed, I wonder?Here in the US, it is required... and on every plane... if you wish to fly into Class A, B or C airspace or Class E above 10,000'.The cost is relatively low. Around $2,000 for a wing or tail mounted ADSB out unit plus another $300 for the ADSB in receiver to connect to your tablet running Skydeamon.George

George,
ADS-B Out is not mandated in the UK (for GA) but many aircraft owners are voluntarily fitting equipment to provide ADS-B Out and In capabilities. uAvionix SE2 is popular along with uncertified and certified GPS devices connected to capable Mode S transponders.
Tony

fruitloops101
fruitloops101
Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.9K reputation)
Chesterspal - 10/5/2022 10:55:32 AM
Hello from the USA😊I'm a newly minted 68 year old Recreational Pilot living in the NorthEast. Recreational Pilot, if this is not something you have in your country, is basically Private Pilot with certain limitations. I can still fly anywhere in the US and into any airspace 10,000' or below. I'm one of less than 100 such pilots. It's a certificate not well understood or promoted, sadly. Many more could be flying if they knew of this. Anyway, enough about me.My interest is in ADSB. My understanding is, in the UK, it is not required for smaller aircraft less than around 5000lbs(?). Be that as it may, how many such pilots are getting it installed, I wonder?Here in the US, it is required... and on every plane... if you wish to fly into Class A, B or C airspace or Class E above 10,000'.The cost is relatively low. Around $2,000 for a wing or tail mounted ADSB out unit plus another $300 for the ADSB in receiver to connect to your tablet running Skydeamon.George

Hi
Many of us here in the UK are using uAvionix SkyEcho2 which is a low(ish) cost portable/rechargable unit which provides a certified GPS position source as well as being able to receive and transmit ADSB independent of the transponder or other aircraft equipment. It integrates seamlessly with SD to provide traffic display.

Chesterspal
C
Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)Forum Member (30 reputation)
That device seems like a more elegant solution to what we have here for small GA aircraft pilots.

The uAvionics skyBeacon many here are using is ADSB out only. It requires a permanent installation on the left wing tip and a sign-off from a certified mechanic/installer.

What the company touts as a ten minute job took me around four weeks. The device failed to pass the required FAA flight test. On many planes the location on the wing tip can affect the GPS reception.

Then there is the need for an ADSB receiver to complete the system. The Stratux open-source device provides that at a reasonable cost. Two devices to deal with or pony up around $5,000 for a single, certified dash-mounted unit.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search