Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

German VFR AIP becoming free of charge (starting from 01.2023)

Author
Frans
Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
From the 1st of January 2023, the German VFR AIP will become free of charge. (Source) Since Skydemon continues to sell the subscription for one year, how will this affect if I would extend my subscription? Do customers with a DFS subscription get a refund for the remaining days after begin 2023, or does Skydemon continue selling the DFS VFR charts as a premium add-on?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Only a basic version of the VFR AIP will be free of charge. It will not contain all the features of the premium VFR AIP that exists today and that we sell licenses for. That is what I have been told by its publishers. Unfortunately nobody knows anything more at this stage, because the details of exactly what will be free and what will not, have not been worked out.

Therefore, there is no current change to what we can license, which is a year's provision of the AIP VFR.

My personal speculation is that the textual parts will become free but the charts will not.

Urzwoo
U
Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 8/5/2022 9:40:51 AM
Only a basic version of the VFR AIP will be free of charge. It will not contain all the features of the premium VFR AIP that exists today and that we sell licenses for. That is what I have been told by its publishers. Unfortunately nobody knows anything more at this stage, because the details of exactly what will be free and what will not, have not been worked out.

Therefore, there is no current change to what we can license, which is a year's provision of the AIP VFR.

My personal speculation is that the textual parts will become free but the charts will not.

IFR charts are available in the German AIP website and have been since 2020 —> https://aip.dfs.de/basicifr
I appreciate the amount of work that goes into getting these charts into SD, but charging full price from 2023 for a free product seems extreme.

As someone whose subscription is soon to end, clarification would be welcome, as I also subscribe to EasyVFR in order to get chart data into my Dynon HDX

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Isn’t this thread about the VFR charts, which currently have to be paid for however you source them through?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Nobody knows any more about the licensing of the German VFR AIP from 2023 than what I described above.

As soon as they do, we'll have some answers too (hopefully).

Urzwoo
U
Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)Too Much Forum (52 reputation)
As I commented in an email to a colleague of yours, I find myself now in limbo. My DFS subscription runs out end of August & don’t know what the situation is re. 2023 onwards.

A monthly subscription would be useful until facts have been clarified.
Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)Too Much Forum (428 reputation)
Urzwoo - 8/16/2022 1:50:51 PM
As I commented in an email to a colleague of yours, I find myself now in limbo. My DFS subscription runs out end of August & don’t know what the situation is re. 2023 onwards. A monthly subscription would be useful until facts have been clarified.

Man, that's 43 GBP for a year. How much do you expect to save, 20 bucks? Is that 0,1h of flying, or less?

Urzwoo
U
If you read my other comments you would see that I also have to subscribe to EasyVFR in order to get up to date data in my DynonHDX system. I asked the SkyDemon team at Aero 2022 about support for this possibility, but there was no interest.

So for me the possibility of saving on paying for VFR charts (twice) for Germany is relevant.

I fly a microlight and the whole idea of flying a small plane is to have fun and keep the costs down.

Every little I save helps.

p.s. I love SkyDemon - it’s far more intuitive than EasyVFR, but if I have to choose one or the other due to financial reasons, I’ll have to let SD go.
Edited 8/16/2022 3:52:40 PM by Urzwoo
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Urzwoo, it isn't clear what you think we can do about this. I understand you'd like to be able to pay monthly for the DFS VFR AIP. That licensing option isn't currently available, to us or to you.

Please just be patient until more information is available about the potential licensing changes to the product.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search