Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

French airspace HOR statements - simple and complex

Author
f
Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Dear SD community,

I had reached out to the team a few years back, when I started using Skydemon, about how verbose the "active" statement of airspaces was and could be.
Using the example of restricted airspaces that may be active everyday, but not necessarily end up active, their "Active" statement reads "Every day" while French AIP reads "Activable H24" ("Activable" not meaning "Active", but may be activated).
This kind of statement should, in my opinion, be changed to something less confusing, and less absolute.

There are more complex examples of "HOR" statements, but they should be possibly mapped to summaries that do reflect this message.

R105B : Possible activation MON, WED- SAT 0600- 1600 TUE 0600- 2300 SUN and HOL 0600- 1000 (SUM : - 1 HR) => Equivalent to "Activable H24" since every weekday is covered, and activation is possible, not guaranteed.
R267C (the one I emailed about in 2017 : Activable SR-SS according to protocol. => Equivalent to "Activable H24"

Both above examples would benefit from remapping "Activable H24" and equivalents as "May be active any day" instead of "[active] Every day", or any other wording that would not be so absolute.
"Absolute" does not invite to double-check, while "explicitly not absolute" does. Even though I agree one always should double-check, I gather from a friend who recently started using SD that such a statement is counter-intuitive ; even when this is an acquired behavior when one know this assumption.

I do however notice that the few "weekdays" HOR statements I have looked at are rightfully labelled as such.

If I may turn this around, are there samples of "not really H24" statements that were ruled as "Every day" where a finer, crowdsourced analysis would help ?

Best regards,
Christian

flyXtian
f
Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)Junior Member (15 reputation)
Sorry, this belongs in the "Charts and Aeronautical data" subforum ; I missed that detail when posting :-)
Can someone please move this thread ?

Thanks,
Christian

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
This appears to be unhelpful and inconsistent language used in the French AIP. I just took a quick look and some examples are "possible activation H24" or "activable H24" or just "H24", and the difference between these is not clear. Airspace that CAN become active at any time should really be promulgated as "by NOTAM" after all.

In SkyDemon data we do not have an entry for "Could be active H24 but may not be" so we just fall back to H24, to be safe, as you have noticed. We could add such an entry, but this appears to be a non-standard French thing, and we do not normally make such changes for one country.

Are you saying that something described as active "H24" will definitely be active all the time, but something "Activable H24" might be active or non-active? Can you give some examples of where knowing the difference from the SkyDemon chart would be helpful? Are these depicted differently on another chart you've used?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search