Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Auto sync logs to cloud

Author
m
Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Do flight logs auto sync to cloud?
I use my iPad in flight and then when I get home I use my iPhone to update log books etc.
would be useful to get the logs available automatically on my phone
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
marioair - 6/4/2022 8:39:28 PM
Do flight logs auto sync to cloud? I use my iPad in flight and then when I get home I use my iPhone to update log books etc. would be useful to get the logs available automatically on my phone

There is a ‘Backup to Cloud’ feature on the logs menu. If you don’t see it at first, scroll down to the bottom.

marioair
m
Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.6K reputation)
Could it be automated?
grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
marioair - 6/5/2022 4:12:33 AM
Could it be automated?

Unless it was optional, it might be less than ideal for people running more the one device.

I have a primary tablet which records every flight, and a secondary one which is sometimes, but not always deployed, and which will usually be put into flight mode at some later point in the flight. I also have a phone which I use only as a traffic display, and is only logged into SD when I update the base charts and an AIP or two. I wouldn’t want it flooding the cloud with duplicate flights, often with the wrong aircraft, every time I log it in. 

Edited 6/5/2022 7:09:04 AM by grahamb
marioair
m
I’m sorry the SD team a clever enough to sync to cloud. One SD account = one cloud log.
grahamb
grahamb
marioair - 6/5/2022 6:33:32 AM
I’m sorry the SD team a clever enough to sync to cloud. One SD account = one cloud log.

There are some things best left to user control, especially when the manual sync method is so trivially easy. 

If there is an auto sync, please leave an option to switch it off as it will screw up my logs, guaranteed.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
We have no plans to automate this, for the reasons already mentioned above. In addition, not everybody wants their logs stored in the cloud.
marioair
m
Tim Dawson - 6/6/2022 9:50:00 AM
We have no plans to automate this, for the reasons already mentioned above. In addition, not everybody wants their logs stored in the cloud.

I'm not sure I follow the logic? 

• "Not everyone wants logs in cloud" - agree, but assume a solution would be optional
  • "I wouldn’t want it flooding the cloud with duplicate flights, often with the wrong aircraft, every time I log it in." Agree this would require some coding but i think there's enough data to de-dupe? Indeed, it would even help in some cases where you lose connection one one device but not the other - would help having a more complete track log?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
We are not going to decide for ourselves which of a user's logs is the best one to keep. Perhaps the log from their iPad is the "real one" and the one from their iPhone is pretty much the same flight but without the correct aircraft profile selected or something. It's the user who needs to make such decisions about what gets sent to us for "permanent" storage in the cloud, not us.

A positive opt-in would be the only way to do this properly, and I'm not sure we've seen enough interest.

Edited 6/28/2022 9:38:26 AM by Tim Dawson
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search