Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

A few questions about SkyDemon usage

Author
t
Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am using SkyDemon together with MSFS2020 on an iPad for flight planning and flight following and have a few questions...

1. Why does the altitude in SkyDemon always show as approx. 100ft less than the actual flight altitude?
2. Is there a way to bookmark AIP charts for anticipated departure and arrival, so that I don't have to navigate through the 'Airfields' tab during flight?
3. Is it possible to assign an alarm to a waypoint? e.g. TOD
4. How do I quickly set a new Altitude on the flightplan during a flight, e.g. ATC give me a new altitude?
5. Why does the Wind column in the Pilot Log not show the same METAR Wind data that the Airfields tab does, assuming I am flying direct from one airport to another?
6. Where can I see the Heading in degrees for runways? It doesn't appear to be shown on anywhere except the AIP charts.

Edited 6/4/2022 12:28:54 PM by toby23
fingertrouble
f
Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)Junior Member (13 reputation)
1. 100 ft off is actually quite good. The barometric altimeter has so many errors built in (e.g. pressure differences, temperatures different from ISA and so on), that it almost never shows the same as the GPS hight. In fact for ATC purpose or to clear an restricted airspace, never ever use the GPS hight (even it is most probably more accurate).

2. unfortunately not. Post this in the ‚requested features‘ part of this forum. This would be a great thing to have.

3. I think this is so much flightsim-istic, I can‘t imagine using this in real flight, and so I think this will not come to SD.

4. actually there is no need to change the flightplan during flight, I never did this. This is not the mangenta line in a 737. You could change your lateral path, but why would you change the altitude in SD?

5. The pilot-log uses the forecasted wind at altitude, while the METAR gives the wind on ground which is quite different.

6. correct.

fingertrouble out
toby23
t
Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)Too Much Forum (443 reputation)
Thanks for replying fingertrouble, much appreciated.
While I realise that I am using a flight simulator, I still aim for realism so it's good to understand how things work with SD.
Re: 3, I have got better at planning over the last 2 weeks, this isn't my first rodeo but I did need to get back into the saddle again, so completely understand why this isn't needed. I also have a TOD marker on my GTNXi 750 unit, so it's not necessary, I also calculate my descent, like any real pilot!
I was asking about the altitude change but realised after reading your reply that you're right and it's totally not necessary, the direction remains the same!
Thank you for your help and advice, fly safe!
Toby

rv8ch
rv8ch
Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)Too Much Forum (156 reputation)
toby23 - 6/8/2022 8:32:40 PM
While I realise that I am using a flight simulator, I still aim for realism so it's good to understand how things work with SD.
Re: 3, I have got better at planning over the last 2 weeks, this isn't my first rodeo but I did need to get back into the saddle again, so completely understand why this isn't needed. I also have a TOD marker on my GTNXi 750 unit, so it's not necessary, I also calculate my descent, like any real pilot!
I was asking about the altitude change but realised after reading your reply that you're right and it's totally not necessary, the direction remains the same!
Toby

I think this is a great idea - a popup or something would be very helpful from time to time.  

Fabrizio Albonico
F
Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)Too Much Forum (129 reputation)
rv8ch - 6/8/2022 8:44:13 PM
toby23 - 6/8/2022 8:32:40 PM
Toby

I think this is a great idea - a popup or something would be very helpful from time to time.  

Click here: http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic35100.aspx and +1 this proposal, in the hopes that it will help gain the attention oft the SD team

--
LSZA based
DA40 / SR20 / S22T / PIVI / TWEN

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search