Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Sentry Mini ADS-B in receiver support

Author
rv8ch
Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I did a tcpdump on the wifi data sent by the Sentry Mini, which is made by uAvionix, and it seems to blast out GDL-90 format data on UDP/4000 like other ADS-B receivers.  It looks like it should be possible to add this to the list of receivers that work with Skydemon, and it's a pretty nice, inexpensive device.  When I try to use it in SD as a GDL90 Compatible Device I get "Waiting for Device".

I'd be happy to send my Sentry Mini to you to test with if you like.  Seems like it would be a good addition to the portfolio of Third-Party Devices.

I've just bought a skyecho 2, so I will have a "blessed" solution (when it arrives), but I thought I'd propose this idea for those that either don't need FLARM in, or already have a FLARM solution and just need ADS-B in.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Sentry is a Foreflight product so isn't intended to work with other systems. Having said that, are you sure it's blasting out GDL90? It would be surprising if it were. We may indeed be happy to borrow the unit, if you're happy to lend it to us, to take a look.
rv8ch
rv8ch
Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)Too Much Forum (162 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 2/17/2022 12:44:54 PM
Sentry is a Foreflight product so isn't intended to work with other systems. Having said that, are you sure it's blasting out GDL90? It would be surprising if it were. We may indeed be happy to borrow the unit, if you're happy to lend it to us, to take a look.

Hi Tim, Just saw this mail - yes, I would be happy to mail you the unit for some testing.  I'm using the SE2 so don't need it back any time soon.  Just let me know where to post it.  Regards, Mickey

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Hi Mickey, maybe you could talk to customer support directly? When you made your first post I wrote to uAvionix to ask them, and they confirmed the device you mentioned does NOT output standard GDL90 and is not intended to work with products other than Foreflight.
rv8ch
rv8ch
Tim Dawson - 3/14/2022 10:34:20 AM
Hi Mickey, maybe you could talk to customer support directly? When you made your first post I wrote to uAvionix to ask them, and they confirmed the device you mentioned does NOT output standard GDL90 and is not intended to work with products other than Foreflight.

Understood - thanks for checking into this.   I think the Sentry Mini is a lot less useful in Europe anyway, since it only does ADS-B.  The SE2 adds FLARM as you know.  I'm quite happy with the SE2 and really can't see a good reason for SD to waste time supporting the Sentry Mini.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search