Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Save a route to SD card on Android tablet

Author
rvmartin
Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I would like to be able to save a route to a local SD card on my tablet. The SD card will then be transferred to my Aera 660 and drive my Dynon autopilot - I am sure this has worked in the past.
I can save the route file to  cloud based storage and then copy to the SD card but this relies on a Internet link.
There is no option in Skydemon to save route files locally - 'save as' does not save locally. Send by email does not create any local files. I have installed different file and email systems to the tablet and this has made no difference. The Skydemon manual does describe how this all should work but I think its guidance is out of date. I have tried different Android devices - Samsung 9+, Samsung tab A, Huawei tablet.
Any ideas?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Save As does save the file locally, but probably not in the format you require for import into a third-party GPS unit. I think the only way to get that format is to email the route to yourself, but possibly going to the Send by Email option would bring up options to save the file(s) locally too, is that not the case?
rvmartin
rvmartin
Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)Too Much Forum (413 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 1/19/2022 12:40:28 PM
Save As does save the file locally, but probably not in the format you require for import into a third-party GPS unit. I think the only way to get that format is to email the route to yourself, but possibly going to the Send by Email option would bring up options to save the file(s) locally too, is that not the case?

HI Tim, thanks for coming back. As far as I can tell 'save as' does not save any files on an Android device but as you say they would probably not be in the correct format. If the save worked in the correct format, this would be of great help when exporting an SD/route to say a Garmin device and autopilot. The email option prepares the files but on none of my three devices is there an option to save locally. All will send a cloud based drive and then allow a copy back to the SD card but this internet option is not available always at an airfield. Maybe its possible to add other options to the Android email options - I will have a look. Thanks.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
I can assure you as the software author that the file is saved locally when you Save in SkyDemon.
KimW
K
Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)Too Much Forum (224 reputation)
On my Andoid device I get the option via "Send by Email" to share to Onedrive, It saves 3 files (Skydemon, FPL, GPX formats).

Another option is via PC as there is an option to save in various formats.

Maybe some of this can work at a work around for you.

rvmartin
rvmartin
Tim Dawson - 1/21/2022 10:26:36 AM
I can assure you as the software author that the file is saved locally when you Save in SkyDemon.

Problem solved. I have tried a number of third party file systems and one called EX File Explorer,  saves the emailed files to the SD card. Job done. Thanks for the help.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search