Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon on Android 11 losing GPS signal when device locks

Author
a
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

After moving from Android 7 to Android 11, I have noticed SkyDemon looses GPS signal when the device locks (i.e.: you want to try to navigate on your own, and have SD as backup just in case you get lost). When you unlock the device, SkyDemon starts getting GPS signal again, and you lost the flight log during the screen lock.

When checking permissions, I can only give SkyDemon one of the following for location: "Allow when app is running", "Ask" or "Don't allow". I see other apps (i.e.: Google, AccuWeather) have an extra option "Allow always", which I cannot choose for SkyDemon.

I suspect this article explains the reason: for Android 10 and above the app should declare ACCESS_BACKGROUND_LOCATION permission in its manifest.

Can anyone else running SkyDemon on Android 11 tell me if they experience the same behaviour?

Thanks, and best regards,
Adrian

Edited 1/9/2022 5:52:58 PM by aplatte
Adam Erchegyi
Adam Erchegyi
Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)Too Much Forum (441 reputation)
aplatte - 1/9/2022 5:24:04 PM
Hello,

After moving from Android 7 to Android 11, I have noticed SkyDemon looses GPS signal when the device locks (i.e.: you want to try to navigate on your own, and have SD as backup just in case you get lost). When you unlock the device, SkyDemon starts getting GPS signal again, and you lost the flight log during the screen lock.

When checking permissions, I can only give SkyDemon one of the following for location: "Allow when app is running", "Ask" or "Don't allow". I see other apps (i.e.: Google, AccuWeather) have an extra option "Allow always", which I cannot choose for SkyDemon.

I suspect this article explains the reason: for Android 10 and above the app should declare ACCESS_BACKGROUND_LOCATION permission in its manifest.

Can anyone else running SkyDemon on Android 11 tell me if they experience the same behaviour?

Adrian

Did you try to turn off battery optimization?

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
"Allow always" is for apps that need to start and monitor your location with you being unaware they're doing it. SkyDemon is not such an app. As long as you start navigating in SkyDemon, you are free to use other apps and SkyDemon will continue to receive your location, which is how it's designed to work. Locking your device should also work, but it's possible there are device-specific issues that might stop it.

Android 11 is a popular operating system and SkyDemon is a popular product, we're unaware of any general issues with SkyDemon running in the background on it.

aplatte
a
Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)Junior Member (11 reputation)
Adam Erchegyi - 1/9/2022 6:52:23 PM
aplatte - 1/9/2022 5:24:04 PM
Hello,

Adrian

Did you try to turn off battery optimization?

That was causing the issue. Disabling it did the trick.
Thanks a lot, Adam.

Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)Too Much Forum (401 reputation)
You can also download free 'GPS Locker' from Google Play. It will keep awake the gps chip no matter what.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search