Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Parachute drop zones

Author
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Yesterday I was on a local flight in the vicinity of Reading, Berkshire.
I know the area quite well so was just admiring the scenery and keeping a good lookout..
There used to be a small grass airfield called Chiltern Park which, unfortunately, closed at the end of August.
I was quite close to Chiltern Park when I noticed an aircraft turning final. I then spotted some parachutists above the airfield.
What was very strange was that I didn't receive any SD audio or visual alerts indicating that I was very close to a parachute drop zone, although I have that warning option selected in my SD settings.

Looking at the SD moving map, it wasn't that easy to spot the graphic (showing an active parachute drop zone) due to other airspace markings etc. cluttering that part of the map.
Also, if aircraft are still landing and taking off from Chiltern Park shouldn't it still be shown as an airfield and not just a drop zone?

Attached is a screen snip showing how the graphic for the drop zone was almost hidden.
Is there any way to make these graphics a bit more visible?
Lastly, any idea why no SD warnings were generated? I got within about 2 miles of their "zone"..

Tony

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)SkyDemon Team (625K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Chiltern Park airfield closed towards the end of September.

There is still a notified parachute dropzone there, as defined in UK AIP ENR 5.5, therefore the dropzone is still present in our charts. I just tested and you get a warning in flight when approaching it; you can test this yourself using the simulator function in SkyDemon.

We have no data as to whether or not anyone is actually still operating there.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search