Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SkyDemon for Hot Air Balloon Operation

Author
f
Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi folks,
has anyone out there any experience with SkyDemon while flying balloons? Did my first training flight on a hot air balloon yesterday, and was surprised, that the balloon folks dont use any navigation tools like SD. I brought my iPad with SD with me, and it showed, that it was very helpful, since we got very close to a small airfield, and we managed to organize a close flyby. Everything works perfectly, except the logging, since we "never got airborne"...(super slow Groundspeed).
@Tim Dawson: Tim, can you think about adding a feature, that enables SD to log balloon flights, and a feature that allows, to create an "aircraft" that is a balloon?
Appreciate your help and or your comments guys!
Cheers from Germany
Frank

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Hi Frank,

You're right that SkyDemon doesn't start the log automatically but you can still start it manually by logging Off Blocks as soon as you take off. That should do the trick. We've thought about making a specific aircraft type for balloons too, but there hasn't been much demand yet for it. Apart from the obvious symbol change on the map, what other different behaviour would you imagine?

frankuhdris
f
Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)Forum Member (29 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 6/18/2021 11:38:39 AM
Hi Frank,

You're right that SkyDemon doesn't start the log automatically but you can still start it manually by logging Off Blocks as soon as you take off. That should do the trick. We've thought about making a specific aircraft type for balloons too, but there hasn't been much demand yet for it. Apart from the obvious symbol change on the map, what other different behaviour would you imagine?

Hi Tim,

thanks for your super quick response! Even though i pushed OFF BLOCK, i wasn't able to log the flight entirely. The log shows 5 segments, some parts missing. I think, this due to the "groundspeed inhibit"? For the balloon ops, a simple TAKEOFF button that starts the log independently of GS, would do it. And on top, a little symbol and default balloon in the aircraft library would do it. Anyway, the ballon folks were pretty much impressed by the functionality of SD. Once again: GREAT PRODUCT Tim!

Cheers
Frank

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)SkyDemon Team (624K reputation)
Thanks Frank. I'll take a look at why logging might not be working properly for you.
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Perhaps you could get in touch with us directly (via Contact Us page on website) to share the log that hasn't worked well? In my testing, logging should work ok for hot air balloons as long as you start the log manually by logging Off Blocks.
frankuhdris
f
Tim Dawson - 6/18/2021 1:43:13 PM
Perhaps you could get in touch with us directly (via Contact Us page on website) to share the log that hasn't worked well? In my testing, logging should work ok for hot air balloons as long as you start the log manually by logging Off Blocks.

Correct me please, but isn't there a minimum groundspeed required, that tells the system, that it is airborne? Pushing OFF BLOCKS only will, to my understanding, not start showing the vertical profile, neither will it show breadcrumbs, when the groundspeed is below a certain threshold value. In our case yesterday we flew sometimes at a slow speeds of down to 5 knots. 

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.8K reputation)
Perhaps a helicopter operator might like to comment?
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
Altitude is taken account of too. Once you're about 400 feet above local ground level that should also trigger the vertical profile, but logging will already have started if you've logged off blocks.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search