Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Show METAR and NOTAM when no route is active.

Author
W
Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I guess someone must have discussed this before but my search showed nothing.

When I go flying without any active route, I wish the metar flyout would show METAR for the nearest airport.

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
Wire - 2/15/2021 7:01:20 PM

When I go flying without any active route, I wish the metar flyout would show METAR for the nearest airport.

Touch the SkyDemon logo top left when in Go Flying mode, and touch ‘Weather’ on the popup. This offers you the option to turn weather overlays on in flight.

It depends on you having an active internet connection when airborne, of course.

Wire
W
Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)Too Much Forum (85 reputation)
grahamb - 2/15/2021 7:51:02 PM
Wire - 2/15/2021 7:01:20 PM

Touch the SkyDemon logo top left when in Go Flying mode, and touch ‘Weather’ on the popup. This offers you the option to turn weather overlays on in flight.

It depends on you having an active internet connection when airborne, of course.

I like to clarify what I am thinking about. 

On the iPad there are tabs along the right hand edge named NOTAM, Weather, Airfields and Radio. 
The Radio popout shows relevant information based on present position even if no Route is defined.
The NOTAM and Weather popouts show no relevant info unless a Route is defined.

I suggest that the NOTAM and Weather popouts show info for the nearest airport when I fly around without a defined Route. 

And yes, I nearly always have internet connectivity where I fly.

PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
You can create a route that flies within a radius of, for instance, 50nm from the departure airfield and this will show the NOTAMs.
Wire
W
PaulSS - 2/16/2021 10:17:34 AM
You can create a route that flies within a radius of, for instance, 50nm from the departure airfield and this will show the NOTAMs.
> You can create a route that flies within a radius of, for instance, 50nm from the departure airfield and this will show the NOTAMs.

Yes, I already do so for now.
But why is it needed? SkyDemon already knows where I am.

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
I think it would be confusing if we constantly updated those panels with the nearest airfield, as that's going to change as you fly.

What's the actual problem you're trying to solve here? You wish you had the METAR for airfields within X miles or similar, because you wish to see changing weather conditions, but you don't want to have planned a route?

Wire
W
Tim Dawson - 2/17/2021 11:55:41 AM
I think it would be confusing if we constantly updated those panels with the nearest airfield, as that's going to change as you fly.

What's the actual problem you're trying to solve here? You wish you had the METAR for airfields within X miles or similar, because you wish to see changing weather conditions, but you don't want to have planned a route?

When I fly without a planned route I wish I had the metar for the closest airport, that's were I might land soon.
I feel the text 
"This window shows METAR and TAF from airfields .....
is not useful. The actual info from the nearest airport would be better.

The similar flyout tab "Radio" manages to do something useful in the exact same scenario.
I don't find it confusing.

Edited 2/17/2021 8:20:17 PM by Wire
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)SkyDemon Team (617K reputation)
I think I understand your point, but a comparison with the Radio tab is not valid. That tab is only there in flight, and its whole point is to show you tactical information.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search