Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Topographic data

Author
Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Where does it come from and what kind of terrain model is used in the app (DSM or DEM/DTM)?

Please, consider using a newly released AW3D30 model from the Japanese space agency.
It's free (requires registration):

AFAIK, it's the most recent topographic data publicly available (the latest update comes from January 2021) and it uses a DSM format (e.g., includes vegetation and man-made structures, which is a good thing for pilots). I know first and foremost it's a VFR app, but having more information is better than not enough (when you unintentionally flies into IMC, to make sure you don't smash into anything).

Edited 2/7/2021 10:27:00 PM by 177
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
Actually I believe in a navigation app it is best to have a terrain model plus obstacle model, which added together provide the best information. Inside the software we need to know the difference between terrain and stuff that's on top of the terrain, such as a city with many high buildings.

If you have some specific real-world examples where you think a unified model would be of more help to the pilot, it would be good to hear them.

Edited 2/8/2021 10:23:17 AM by Tim Dawson
Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)Too Much Forum (361 reputation)
Tim Dawson - 2/8/2021 10:22:39 AM
Actually I believe in a navigation app it is best to have a terrain model plus obstacle model, which added together provide the best information. Inside the software we need to know the difference between terrain and stuff that's on top of the terrain, such as a city with many high buildings.

If you have some specific real-world examples where you think a unified model would be of more help to the pilot, it would be good to hear them.

Where did I said that DTM is better than DSM? Smile DSM = surface + objects on it.
Anyway, I still looking forward for the AW3D30 implementation, since it's the most recent and accurate model.

Edited 2/8/2021 11:09:44 AM by 177
Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
It's me that is suggesting DTM is better than DSM for SkyDemon. I was inviting you to suggest why you disagree.
AW3D30 have been updated recently. It covers almost the whole globe now. You can grab for free 30 meters resolution model here:

BJS
B
Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)Too Much Forum (161 reputation)
This discussion reminds me of the first flight of Tornado fighters for the Marines, where the surface following radar tried to out-steer every wave on the ocean surface and the vibrations almost killed several pilots.

I definitively plead for fit-for-purpose and only good-enough data which is small data sizes and not over-structured ground data. We don't need 1" details on the ground, which is totally irrelevant to flying, plugging data processing with no real benefit at all and harming performance. Like daytime running lights in violation of climate rescue delusions ...

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search