Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

SD traffic warning audio alert muting

Author
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I think it would he useful to have a traffic warning audio alert muting capability.
I am considering the scenario when near an airfield and needing to listen to A/G / AFIS / ATC but reception being "masked" by lots of SD/SE2 traffic alerts.

Could an extra muting "tab" be added to the moving map display alongside the "Radio" tab?
I suggest this type of muting action as it needs to be "one press" and easy to access on tablets and smartphones.
Maybe the mute functions lasts for a few seconds (10 secs?) before automatically being returned to "un-mute".
Tony

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
tnowak - 11/20/2020 2:43:21 PM
I think it would he useful to have a traffic warning audio alert muting capability.
I am considering the scenario when near an airfield and needing to listen to A/G / AFIS / ATC but reception being "masked" by lots of SD/SE2 traffic alerts.

Could an extra muting "tab" be added to the moving map display alongside the "Radio" tab?
I suggest this type of muting action as it needs to be "one press" and easy to access on tablets and smartphones.
Maybe the mute functions lasts for a few seconds (10 secs?) before automatically being returned to "un-mute".
Tony

You can do this now by touching the traffic radar screen and muting either all traffic or an individual aircraft. Try it in simulator mode. 

Edited 11/20/2020 6:11:46 PM by grahamb
PaulSS
P
Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)Too Much Forum (1K reputation)
I found it didn't work very well in the air, Graham. I selected and wanted it to 'suppress all', just as it says on the tin but it doesn't. If the SkyDemon algorithm thinks there is still a danger then you still get the 'danger' warnings. Unfortunately, many people don't have an air switch attached to their ADSB Out equipment, which means they are transmitting while they are on the ground. I got so distracted by having 'danger' warnings from ground traffic piped to my headset, even though I'd already told SkyDemon to shut up, that I turned off the Bluetooth to my headset. This is certainly not ideal. The 'Shut Up' switch should mean just that and not 'We think we know better than you when not to shut up'.

As it is, I have now piped all my auxiliary audio through a mixer and have the ability to just turn the master volume down to zero and get rid of the extraneous audio distractions. I want audio when I'm flying around but I do not want to receive 'danger' warnings on Final from the guy with his SE2 blaring away while he's taxying to the fuel pumps

grahamb
grahamb
Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.3K reputation)
PaulSS - 11/21/2020 7:33:35 PM
I found it didn't work very well in the air, Graham. I selected and wanted it to 'suppress all', just as it says on the tin but it doesn't. If the SkyDemon algorithm thinks there is still a danger then you still get the 'danger' warnings. Unfortunately, many people don't have an air switch attached to their ADSB Out equipment, which means they are transmitting while they are on the ground. I got so distracted by having 'danger' warnings from ground traffic piped to my headset, even though I'd already told SkyDemon to shut up, that I turned off the Bluetooth to my headset. This is certainly not ideal. The 'Shut Up' switch should mean just that and not 'We think we know better than you when not to shut up'.

As it is, I have now piped all my auxiliary audio through a mixer and have the ability to just turn the master volume down to zero and get rid of the extraneous audio distractions. I want audio when I'm flying around but I do not want to receive 'danger' warnings on Final from the guy with his SE2 blaring away while he's taxying to the fuel pumps

Tim has made a recent change, now in the beta versions, which will suppress voice warnings for traffic perceived to be on the ground.

AIUI the OP however is talking about something different, which is to suppress -all- warnings when in the vicinity of an aerodrome to avoid missing other radio transmissions. Not a problem for me; I Bluetooth the iPad warnings into the Bose headset using the setting which prioritises the radio/intercom, but if you don’t have that capability, suppressing all but the most threatening airborne targets is perhaps a good compromise. 

Tony N
Tony N
Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)Too Much Forum (17K reputation)
I use SD on a Samsung S8 Galaxy smartphone so won't have the traffic radar displayed.
Hence a suggestion for a way to mute unnecessary audio alerts from the main moving map screen.
In fact I tend not to look at SD that much at all when in the circuit.
Tony

TimT
TimT
Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)Too Much Forum (1.3K reputation)
As Grahamb mentioned, this was discussed here recently in exhaustive detail.
Tony N
Tony N
Tim,
Have you managed to come up with a solution for traffic proximity audio alert muting for SD users using a small(ish) smartphone?
As mentioned previously, the smartphone screen size means the SD traffic radar screen isn't the default - the normal map display is.
Was flying yesterday and again I would have liked to have muted these warning as they were stepping on ATC/FISO transmissions.

Tony

Tim Dawson
Tim Dawson
SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)SkyDemon Team (616K reputation)
We are not actively looking for such solutions. There is an existing mechanism to silence traffic information.

It's likely we will revisit this in the future if and when we get lots of feedback one way or the other.

grahamb
grahamb
Tim Dawson - 12/11/2020 9:47:20 AM
We are not actively looking for such solutions. There is an existing mechanism to silence traffic information.

It's likely we will revisit this in the future if and when we get lots of feedback one way or the other.

Weel, I can give positive feedback regarding the current beta configuration, where trafffic determined to be on the ground is muted. Just today, there was an aircraft stationary on the apron as I landed. I didn't hear one supefluous audio warning at all from arriving in the zone through to parking up after backtracking. Big tick from me.

Tony N
Tony N
Tim,

I use a smartphone for SD use.
If I select the SD traffic radar screen in order to select one of the audio suppression options, does that selection still remain "active" after I revert back to the normal map display for navigation purposes?
Tony

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search