Important: These forums are for discussions between SkyDemon users. They are not routinely monitored by SkyDemon staff so any urgent issues should be sent directly to our Customer Support.

Land Here usage for short trips

Author
Prokop
Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)Junior Member (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hey Community,

i am new to this forum (and to SD) and would like to ask a question about how you are using the multi-leg capability. I get, that ones "land here" is used to split the routing into multiple legs, each leg is calculated individually as a route. I also read in this thread about, there not being the need or wish to link the legs of multi-leg-trips together (e.g. leg2.starttime = leg1.landing + 30 minutes)

With this, when I am planning A->B (short stop for coffee, sightseeing, tea-time, ... and NO refueling) and then B->A, i have to
- assume / measure my initial fuel (let us say full)
- set my waypoints, performance, etc. for the full roundtrip
- set B as "land here"-waypoint
- take the expected used fuel from the minimum needed fuel probably without the alternate. That portion of the fuel is only needed if NOT landing on B but then the whole plan would be messed up and not relevant anymore, right?
- subtract the expected used fuel of the initial fuel and set that as the available fuel for B->A.
- only then i get the go / no go flag if the trip i am planning can or cannot be done with the initial amount of fuel. Or at least, this is what i would plan on the paper to see if i can do the trip without refueling at B.

Of course a correct check at B needs to be done and in case of not enough fuel refueling or one additional pit stop at C needs to be planned, but i already have identified some trips, where airport B has NO possibility of refueling, so for me these steps above are actually necessary.

Is that a feasible approach or did i miss something that would make my life easier on that?

Best Regards,
Prokop

pgroell
pgroell
Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)Too Much Forum (4.5K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I prefer to do it this way, by planning two legs when I make a full stop landing at B.

a) compute minimum fuel from B to A (trip, alternate, contingency.....), that's the minimum to fly back.
b) compute minimum fuel from A to B (trip, alternate, contingency.....)

b) is the minimum fuel to take off from A to B
a) + trip fuel from b) is the minimum for the round trip.
Compare the results to the fuel on board.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search