SkyDemon Forums

Land Here usage for short trips

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic32290.aspx

By Prokop - 10/2/2020 1:15:27 PM

Hey Community,

i am new to this forum (and to SD) and would like to ask a question about how you are using the multi-leg capability. I get, that ones "land here" is used to split the routing into multiple legs, each leg is calculated individually as a route. I also read in this thread about, there not being the need or wish to link the legs of multi-leg-trips together (e.g. leg2.starttime = leg1.landing + 30 minutes)

With this, when I am planning A->B (short stop for coffee, sightseeing, tea-time, ... and NO refueling) and then B->A, i have to
- assume / measure my initial fuel (let us say full)
- set my waypoints, performance, etc. for the full roundtrip
- set B as "land here"-waypoint
- take the expected used fuel from the minimum needed fuel probably without the alternate. That portion of the fuel is only needed if NOT landing on B but then the whole plan would be messed up and not relevant anymore, right?
- subtract the expected used fuel of the initial fuel and set that as the available fuel for B->A.
- only then i get the go / no go flag if the trip i am planning can or cannot be done with the initial amount of fuel. Or at least, this is what i would plan on the paper to see if i can do the trip without refueling at B.

Of course a correct check at B needs to be done and in case of not enough fuel refueling or one additional pit stop at C needs to be planned, but i already have identified some trips, where airport B has NO possibility of refueling, so for me these steps above are actually necessary.

Is that a feasible approach or did i miss something that would make my life easier on that?

Best Regards,
Prokop

By pgroell - 10/3/2020 7:32:49 AM

I prefer to do it this way, by planning two legs when I make a full stop landing at B.

a) compute minimum fuel from B to A (trip, alternate, contingency.....), that's the minimum to fly back.
b) compute minimum fuel from A to B (trip, alternate, contingency.....)

b) is the minimum fuel to take off from A to B
a) + trip fuel from b) is the minimum for the round trip.
Compare the results to the fuel on board.